AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database architecture question - trying to avoid creating too many calculated fields

Question asked by NicoleHartman on Apr 22, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 22, 2011 by philmodjunk

Title

Database architecture question - trying to avoid creating too many calculated fields

Hi, 

I am somewhat new at filemaker database architecture, I was hoping someone may be able to help me define a better way to create my database - as I know there has to be an easier way then what I am looking at doing. 

I work with software and have the need to create a filemaker database that would allow our distributors to come in and list their DSRP (Software sales price) by SKU number. I have roughly 100 SKUs and 30 Distributors and then for each SKU I would have a MSRP (Manufacture sale price), Calculated DSRP, Distributor determined DSRP and then a buy price from the manufacture to the Distributor. Most of these SKU fields would all be calculated off of the MSRP number but 1 of the fields could be hard entered by the distributor. 

The idea is that the distributor could come to the page and access only their record and see the MSRP and then enter the Price Factors to calculate their DSRP and then if they want to play with the pricing they could change their DSRP in the hard entered field. 

The only way I can think of creating this would be to list all 100 of the SKU fields and multiple calculated fields (once for the MSRP, once for DSRP, once for Buy price, etc.) with the individual calculation for each price type and then create a timestamped record for each distributor each time one of the price factors changes. 

Is there an easier way to do this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a screen shot of a simplified version of what I am trying to accomplish. 

Filemaker_example.png

Outcomes