AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database design basics - need a good reference.

Question asked by paynetc on May 20, 2009
Latest reply on May 20, 2009 by JDenault

Title

Database design basics - need a good reference.

I'm starting a project that requires a database instead of a spreadsheet, but I know nearly nothing about designing databases.  That is one of the reasons I'm considering FileMaker, actually.  :)

Can anyone recommend a good website or book on elementary database design with FileMaker Pro 10?  I have this feeling that I know juuuuuust enough to be dangerous when it comes to designing a database, and if this project I'm working on takes off I wouldn't want our (eventual, hypothetical) consultant to shoot herself over my crappy initial design.  It's okay if the consultant sighs heavily, shakes her head, and racks up a few extra billable hours because of silly things I've done, but I don't want to make mistakes that will be immesely costly to fix later.

I'm more concerned about the structure of the data than layout details.  I need a good reference that outlines best data practices in FileMaker that's aimed at users with ooodles of general computer knowledge but no real background in database development.

Outcomes