5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2012 10:08 AM by jdhelle

Database File Maintenance Record

jdhelle

Title

Database File Maintenance Record

Is there a way to capture a date/time when something is changed on a database record?  I'm only looking for an entry when someone has physically changed something like a title, address, notes, etc.  But, not when the file is opened, sorted, etc.

Thanks!

FileMaker Pro 12.0v2 - Mac

• 1. Re: Database File Maintenance Record
          philmodjunk

Yes, though you haven't fully described what you have in mind. You can add text, date and timestamp fields to your table definition and give them field options that auto-enter the modificationi account name, modifcation date or modification timestamp.

This records this info any time any field in a given record is modified.

With a lot of scripting and script triggers, it's also possible to record which field was modified and its previous value.

• 2. Re: Database File Maintenance Record
            jdhelle

PhilModjunk,

Yes, I have tried to add a 'Date_Last_Maint' field to my database as a timestamp.  However, I have a few scripts that run when you open the file and they change the timestamp on all records.  Is there a way to limit a timestamp to only occur when a field is changed by a person?

• 3. Re: Database File Maintenance Record
              philmodjunk

However, I have a few scripts that run when you open the file and they change the timestamp on all records.

Why do they do this? This would require a script modifiying field in every record of your table. As your database grows, this could lead to very long delays when you first open your file.

Any modification of a field in the record will trip the modification auto-enter settings. There are a number of ways to avoid that. One way is to split the table into two parts--putting the fields modified by scripts in a different, but related table so that they do not trip the mod fields defined in the other table.

• 4. Re: Database File Maintenance Record
                bumper

On his website Kevin Frank has a demo file and description of a method called selective modification timestamp that just might accomplish what you are looking to do.

http://www.filemakerhacks.com/?p=240

• 5. Re: Database File Maintenance Record
                  jdhelle

Bumper,

Thank you for such an easy solution!  

Kevin Frank's website was exactly what I needed.

http://www.filemakerhacks.com/?p=240