4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 11:56 AM by SteveBlair

Database for Film Festival

SteveBlair

Title

Database for Film Festival

Hello, over the last year we've started using Filemaker to store film information for our festival. As our festival took place 2 weeks ago, I'm feeling like now's a good time to revamp things so that they go a bit smoother this year. I'm a bit stuck on whether to use relational tables, related by separate files, or something else.

We have three states for each film. First a film is consider a submission. We enter the basic information for the film (title, director, length, etc) for use by our selection committee. Once a film is selected to be in the festival, we add information about the screening venue and date/time, speakers that wil be present, sponsors of the film, and information about the screening format. Finally, after the festival, we archive all of the films, and I'd like to include that in Filemaker so that I can quickly see basic info about the film and which archive box it's in.

All films will be listed under submissions (typically 150-200), and only when a checkbox for "in festival" is clicked should it then be listed under the festival state. I'd hoped this would be simple using relational tables, but I can't seem to find the solution. The reason I don't want all data in a single table is we often use the search feature and I only want results related to the current state (submission, festival, archive) to come up.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Database for Film Festival
          philmodjunk

I would not use individual tables for this.

By "state", you mean that each file entry can be listed as "Submitted", "Selected", or "Shown"?

There are any number of ways to make sure that your finds filter out all records that aren't in the specified state--even finds performed manually from the records menu.

• 2. Re: Database for Film Festival
            SteveBlair

Thanks Phil

That is what I mean by state, and I'd like each to have a separate layout. How it goes is for 8-10 months we'll be using the Submitted layout, followed by about a month of transitioning to the Selected layout, and after the festival using the Shown layout.

Can you direct me to some of the ways to filter manual finds. I'd thought of adding a custom search field, but my colleagues will likely still use the default Find tool.

Also, I know it sounds picky, but I'd like the record count displayed at the top to reflect the current state. This year we selected 56 films, so I'd love for it to say 56/56 rather than 56/183 (183 being the total number of submissions).

• 3. Re: Database for Film Festival
              philmodjunk

On your "submitted" layout, enter layout mode.

From Layout Setup, click the script triggers tab and select the onModeExit trigger and select "Find" as the mode being exited.

Have it perform a script patterned after this example:

Enter find mode [] //clear the pause check box
                   Set field [YourTable::State ; "Submitted"]
                   Set Error Capture [on]
                   Constrain Found Set []

This script will kick in after any find performed by the user to further filter their results to drop out records that don't have "submitted" in the state field. If you use a different value to mark a record as "submitted", you can alter this set field step accordingly.

I'd like the record count displayed at the top to reflect the current state.

That is picky and cannot be done. But you can hide the status toolbar and put your own controls on the layout that display this information.

• 4. Re: Database for Film Festival
                SteveBlair

Brilliant! I had no idea you could set a trigger on find, that's awesome. Thanks again, you've saved me hours of trial and error