1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 8:01 AM by davidanders

Database for research findings

NeedNoUsername

Title

Database for research findings

New to FM and I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question in either the FM userguide or some of the tutorials at Lynda.com.

Here's my situation. I am a scientist and read on average 25-40 research papers per week (and fortunately I am writing a few myself each year). Although I have been able to keep track of the research paper I read (via OSX Papers and tags), I believe there should be a easier way for me to keep track of the studies I have been reading and I think Filemaker Pro could be the answer.

What I need is a database that would allow me to 

(i) enter information about the studies I read, such as year of publication; authors; study methods (i.e. sample characteristics; statistical package; measures used; analyses used), and results

(ii) link this information to papers I am currently working on myself

(iii) find information about specific subjects 

For instance, if I want to find papers about the influence of exercise on diabetes 2 published between 2000 and 2008, I want to be able to select fields that have 

a) independent variable = exercise

b) dependent variable = diabetes 2

c) year of publication = 2000-2008.

This would be huge improvement over the way I am working now. However, I haven't been able to figure out exactly how to set this up in FM. I do not think that a single database cuts it; rather, I feel I should be using various tables that can be related to one another. For instance, a table about journals, a table about authors, a table about theoretical models employed, a table about measures employed, so that I can do a query on the information I want at any given moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.