AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database for research findings

Question asked by NeedNoUsername on Mar 30, 2010
Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 by davidanders

Title

Database for research findings

New to FM and I haven't been able to find a good answer to my question in either the FM userguide or some of the tutorials at Lynda.com.

Here's my situation. I am a scientist and read on average 25-40 research papers per week (and fortunately I am writing a few myself each year). Although I have been able to keep track of the research paper I read (via OSX Papers and tags), I believe there should be a easier way for me to keep track of the studies I have been reading and I think Filemaker Pro could be the answer.

What I need is a database that would allow me to 

(i) enter information about the studies I read, such as year of publication; authors; study methods (i.e. sample characteristics; statistical package; measures used; analyses used), and results

(ii) link this information to papers I am currently working on myself

(iii) find information about specific subjects 

For instance, if I want to find papers about the influence of exercise on diabetes 2 published between 2000 and 2008, I want to be able to select fields that have 

a) independent variable = exercise

b) dependent variable = diabetes 2

c) year of publication = 2000-2008.

This would be huge improvement over the way I am working now. However, I haven't been able to figure out exactly how to set this up in FM. I do not think that a single database cuts it; rather, I feel I should be using various tables that can be related to one another. For instance, a table about journals, a table about authors, a table about theoretical models employed, a table about measures employed, so that I can do a query on the information I want at any given moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Outcomes