2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 7:27 AM by ninja

Database for retail/manufacturing business

cjbr

Title

Database for retail/manufacturing business

i am new to file maker,,and i need to know if filemaker 11, is what im looking  for. i need to create database for customers which details how they got our phone number. ie 8 advertising methods we use ,,, i also have a list of products we manufacture, many different sizes ( would like to create a cutting list for our products. 

• 1. Re: Database for retail/manufacturing business
          davidanders

It would help if you could be specific about your needs.

I need

Customers

CustomerID

LastName

FirstName

Etc

Product

ProductID

ProductName

ProductDescripton

Etc

• 2. Re: Database for retail/manufacturing business
            ninja

Howdy cjbr,

I am part of a manufacturing business and do much of the FMP building.

We have ~1000+ active products, ~1000+ raw materials, formulae, inventory tracking for rawmats and properties, WIP & FG's, dunnage, storage, dispense and lot tracking, QC inspections, CoA's, blah blah blah...

FMP does the job we need it to do and has done so since FMP5.

Remember, however, that FMP is a platform to build on, not a system for managing production.  The system for managing what you want to manage has to be built on that platform.

Either you have a bit of learning to do to build it yourself, or you'll want to contact a FMP developer to ease and speed up your installation.

A number of developers frequent these boards.  I figure I can say that, since I'm not one of them...{developer for hire, that is}.

However you choose to implement, FMP can do a nice job.  Peruse the forums like this one to also check out some weaknesses of FMP...nothing's perfect.