5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 10:00 PM by philmodjunk

Database keeps dropping container field contents.

CindyAllen

Title

Database keeps dropping container field contents.

I use container fields to store PDFs.  I created a button and the script is simple: Insert File, stored as a reference, Go To target field.  I have no idea why, but all of a sudden all my container fields will have lost their information throughout the entire database. I use this in a portal and also just on the main layout, both drop the files randomly :( Any suggestions on why and how might to fix it would be greatly appreciated!!

• 1. Re: Database keeps dropping container field contents.
          philmodjunk

What storage options have you specified for your container fields?

Where are your files located? On your computer or are they in a shared directory on a server?

• 2. Re: Database keeps dropping container field contents.
            CindyAllen

I store them as "Store only as a reference to the file" and the files are located on my computer in the same file folder as the database. It always stays on my desk top in this folder. Sometimes I copy the entire folder to backup the database, but that does not drop the files. 

• 3. Re: Database keeps dropping container field contents.
              philmodjunk

That's not what I meant by storage options - a tab found in the field options for a given field can enable you to specify either global or external storage for a container field. Did you make any such choice for the fields where you are missing this data?

What do you see in the container field when it's inserted file "goes missing"? is it empty or do you see text with words that say something about being unable to locate the file?

The first indicates that something cleared the field? The second indicates that the file path stored in the field is not currently a valid path to a file.

• 4. Re: Database keeps dropping container field contents.
                CindyAllen

I have not made that choice. They are both not checked. Not global and not stored externally. And yes when it is missing, there is text saying that it is missing. 

So strange, they all just reappeared. That is the first time that has happened. Does that give you any clues?  

• 5. Re: Database keeps dropping container field contents.
                  philmodjunk

Might you have more than one copy of your file?

Are you using more than one user account on your computer? (each has it's own desktop folder and the file path will thus differ with each user account).

Might your file be damaged? Run a recover on the file and see what is reported. Even if no damage is reported, test the recovered file to see if its behavior differs from the original copy.

And since filepaths are something that results in FileMaker interacting with the directories of your hard drive running a utility to check out your hard drive for issues might also be worth doing.