1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 10, 2013 9:27 AM by philmodjunk

DataBase management auto update.

Matty_1

Title

DataBase management auto update.

I'm wondering if there's an automated script or easy way to have all changes done on the management side of a database transferred over from one to another.

I'm currently working on a separated model database so making changes to the UI and it's script is not problem at all but every time I want to make changes to the file that contains all the data I obviously can't during business hours.  It would be wonderful if I could make a copy of the data file ... add and change my fields as I see fit and then roll out those newly added fields with a script instead of creating print outs of all the new fields I've made and risking forgetting, misplacing a sheet etc etc.

I realize this is a long shot but thought I would put it out there.

My other solution was to have a way of marking the new or edited fields by either adding a dash before the names or some sort of character that would place them at the top when sorted alphabetically and copy pasting them into the new database and them renaming the fields.  Of course the edited fields would have to be labeled differently because I wouldn't be copy and pasting them but copying over their changes.

Again ... doesn't seem as ideal as a wonderful automated script and too much room for error in my opinion.

Thanks!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DataBase management auto update.
          philmodjunk

Safest method is to set up a script that exports all the data from your current data file into the new version. Set the script up to also update any auto-entered serial number settings at the same time. Test it with a backup copy of the file to make sure that it works. Then take the system down off the server so that no one can modify the file during the update, run the script to pull all the data into your new copy and then put the copy up onto the server.