AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database of historical events and way to report chronologically special anniversaries of all events

Question asked by julesmim on Dec 8, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2013 by julesmim

Title

Database of historical events and way to report chronologically special anniversaries of all events

Hello,

I just bought Filemaker Pro 13 and I'm still a newbie to Filemaker and databases.

In my database, I have a list of historical events (from about 500 years ago until today). I put those events in an "Events" table with fields EventID, Event name, Event date, Event category, and maybe a few more.

The thing I want to get is a list (report or view) of various anniversaries (5th, 10th, 20th, 25th, 50th, 100th and maybe more) of each of those events, ordered by date. So for a particular date, I can have the fifth anniversary of an event and the 10th of another event each on its own line. On this line should be fields for the day (for example today), Event name, the date of the passed event, which anniversary number it is (5th, 10th, etc.) and maybe other fields from the "Events" table.

I thought adding some calculated fields in the "Events" table for every anniversary (5th, 10th, etc.) would be a good start but then I don't know how to use these fields. I played with intermediate tables and relationship from a date field in it. But it seems that I can't have a relationship that matches one field in a table with field 1 OR field 2 OR field 3 in another table. I tried making the connection of the field in the first table with different fields in different occurrences of the second table. But if I want to represent the results in a portal, I can't fill the portal form records coming from different table occurrences.

Or maybe I am on a completely wrong way?

Any hint to help me figure how to implement this would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Outcomes