1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Database Planning

skoz55

Title

Database Planning

I currently use ACT! by Sage for my company database.  I am beginning the planning to transistion everything over to FileMaker and I have two questions regarding it.

1.  Does anybody know if its possible to export/import fields and layouts from ACT! to FileMaker Pro.

The end result will contain 5 major components:

-Clients

-Vendors

-Employees

-Leads not converted to sales

-Database of products (with description, sku's, pricing, etc.)

2.  I am starting the the product database to get used to FileMaker's interface and am a bit confused as to what would be its own table and if I should plan for multiple files, or to contain all the tables in one file.  My thought is that the 5 major components above will all be their own tables and be located within one file.  This way I can have relationships and share data.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Database Planning
          philmodjunk

I can't help you with Act as I am unfamiliar but I can respond to:

"I am starting the the product database to get used to FileMaker's interface and am a bit confused as to what would be its own table and if I should plan for multiple files, or to contain all the tables in one file.  My thought is that the 5 major components above will all be their own tables and be located within one file.  This way I can have relationships and share data."

With filemaker you can link tables via relationships regardless of whether the tables are in the same file or in different files. In most cases, you will find it easier if you put all your tables into a single file.