2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2009 11:00 AM by kyzaadrao

Database questions: Customer Contact Management + Product inventory + Online and brick/mortar Sales

xpo158

Title

Database questions: Customer Contact Management + Product inventory + Online and brick/mortar Sales

Hi!  So I tried to do a couple searches but could not find anything specific.  I'm seriously considering starting a business and I'd like to use filemaker for organization and reporting.  And I do want to point out that I know close to nothing about Database development... but here's a question or two that I have and I hope someone can lead me to the right direction.

I do know that Filemaker will be able to store information, but, I would like to use it for organizing and reporting sales.  I'm aware of how this can be accomplished for brick/mortar locations... but I am having a hard time conceptualizing online sales.  Is there some kind of coding or third party product that can be used to capture internet sales?  (customer contact information and sales).

Basically, what are the e-commerce solutions that can be created/used with filemaker?  Additionally, for something like this will the standard filemaker pro be sufficient, or is there a need for filemaker server?

Thank you very much.  Any direction would be helpful! 

• 1. Re: Database questions: Customer Contact Management + Product inventory + Online and brick/mortar Sales
          xpo158

I wanted to updated this.... a couple minutes later ... hahaha

so I did find third party products doing a general google search, can anyone give recommendations?

Also still would like to know which filemaker product will be needed.  thank you! 

• 2. Re: Database questions: Customer Contact Management + Product inventory + Online and brick/mortar Sales
            kyzaadrao

Well, I'm fairly new to Filemaker but not online sales and SQL databases and programming. What I love about Filemaker so far is that it can save enormous amounts of time developing offline or desktop solutions.

I'm not sure it's quite ready for prime time as a heavy-duty ecommerce server on its own though as that isn't really what Filemaker is aimed at solving in my opinion.

The good news is that since Filemaker Pro is versatile in what it can import and export you can use any online ecommerce solution and most likely with little to no work, import the results into Filemaker on a regular basis.

I believe it's also possible to patch into say, your mySQL ecommerce database "live" and perhaps get the info you need for sales and reporting, so that's another possible option to glue your offline/online applications.

If you're going to do your complete ecommerce solution in Filemaker you'll probably need Filemaker pro advanced and Filemaker pro advanced server.

While I haven't done a Filemaker online ecommerce application yet, I think I'd personally suggest looking at one of the many existing and (possibly more) lightweight ecommerce apps in PHP/mySQL, and import data as needed. Since Filemaker can communicate with PHP, this may leave an upgrade path later should you decide to fully integrate Filemaker with the actual ecommerce/cart part of your application.