AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database Schema for Survey Help!

Question asked by cdub5 on Jun 18, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 by cdub5

Title

Database Schema for Survey Help!

Hi,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while now looking at various topics regarding database schema for Survey applications.

However, despite the insight and templates posted on this forum I still cannot get my head round how to create a relational database for my application.

Here's the scenario: I need to create a health and safety inspection application which will enable the user to carry out a survey of how well a specific location fares against a bunch of pre-set questions/criteria. So pretty much a checklist where each question is either a  pass or fail response. Currently the survey is paper based (I have attached an example to this post)

As I understand it from other forum posts, the basic schema of a survey should be Subjects --> Responses <-- Questions <--Surveys

But I need to have different Sections for Questions as well and i'm having trouble incorporating another table into my schema.

Please find the image of my schema so far. The idea is that the user picks a Survey ID (there will only be one survey to choose form) and a LocationID (for wherever they are doing the survey).. then somehow allow the user to answer yes/no to a list of displayed questions. Could anyone tell me if i'm going in the right direction with this? (is the schema okay?) I have hit a brick wall and been stuck at this point for a while now!

Current Paper Version

FMP File

Relationship Graph

Thanks!

Outcomes