3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2014 9:54 PM by turnerlewis81

Database size post recovery is HUGE

AdamLee

Title

Database size post recovery is HUGE

I have a rather perplexing problem in Fielmaker 11.  A recent file server space issue caused two of our databases to crash, and need recovery.  Ever since the recovery, the backup size of these databases have exploded and become quite unwieldy.  For instance, one of our database backups used to come in at around 100 MB.  Now, it's close to a GB in filesize, with very little new information input into the database - the recovery is the only thing that has changed, and it has caused the filesize to expand greatly.

I have tried compacting the databases, and saving as compacted copies - this does not help. 

Suggestions welcome, and appreciated!  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Database size post recovery is HUGE
          philmodjunk

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Database size post recovery is HUGE
            FileKraft

i had the same problem without any recovery - a file on the server took forever to open - even filesize was onlu 300k. just 24 records

nothing fency - after our host restarted the server - well there might be some recovery i don't know happened - the file just increased its size 

to 7 MB and i only use it as a counter for access. also committing a record took minutes and after some uptime hours - so i went back to a backup copy

before the server restart and unfortunately after a week of no problems with that tiny file all starts allover again. and now i recovered it and am praying

that i dont have the same issues with our main data file. - the server is windows fms11v3 the clients are mac and pcs 11v4 /v3 (pc).

• 3. Re: Database size post recovery is HUGE
              turnerlewis81

If your have accidentally deleted your filemaker database, there is no need to worry as you can restore your deleted filemaker database with the help of Mac data recovery tool. It not only repair the damage database but also saves them in a location as per users choice. It also restores the lost files from other removable device that is USB, memory card etc.

For more information:

filemaker.filerecovery-mac.net