2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2013 7:16 PM by philmodjunk

Database structure

AlexHammerstein

Title

Database structure

Hi - very new to FM, using version 10.   

Can I ask for advice regarding structure of the database.   I am trying to create a database which will records family membership.  My initial thoughts were to set up a field <Title> in which I would enter e.g. Mr and Mrs;  <Forenames> in which I would enter e.g. Jack and Jill; and <Surname>.    This would allow me to then undertake mail merges where I can use either <Title> and <Surname> or <Forenames> in the salutation.

I then realised that this would not work where we have a situation where the couples/partners have different surnames.  I need to know the best way top handle this.  I was thinking that I could set up a primary table to hold the majority of records, with a related table to hold the details where the situation described above occurs.    Would this work, and still allow me to undertake a mailmerge which I would then be able to use both surnames or both forenames in the salutation?

Also, I was going to have a second related table to simply hold the forenames on any children.

Many thanks for any help and advice

A.