1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 6:59 PM by philmodjunk

Database structure

ultranix

Title

Database structure

I want to setup a database, in which I test various increments of calculations to determine, which calculation works the best.

What I have accomplished this far:

(Everything so far is working in MAIN table)
      First of all. I mainly use 10 increments and fields with those: targ_hit_010, targ_hit_020, targ_hit_030, targ_hit_040, targ_hit_050, targ_hit_060, targ_hit_070, targ_hit_080, targ_hit_090, targ_hit_100.

Secondly. Those targ_hit_010, targ_hit_020 would only return 3 type of results: -2, 1 and 2

Thirdly. I use a summary field sum_targ_hit_010, sum_targ_hit_020, sum_targ_hit_030, etc. which counts number of results of targ_hit_010, targ_hit_020, etc.

Then. (explanation- why was the Third point). I have another table targ, which is related this way: targ::targ_hit_010 = MAIN::targ_hit_010. And in this targ table I only have 3 records: -2, 1 and 2.

After that. I have a layout, which is based on targ table, where I have 2 fields: targ::targ_hit_010 and MAIN::sum_targ_hit_010. So whenever I go through records,
      1) -2 is the number of total -2 result records count from MAIN (MAIN::sum_targ_hit_010 field)
      2) 1 is the number of total 1 result records count from MAIN (MAIN::sum_targ_hit_010 field)
      3) 2 is the number of total 2 result records count from MAIN (MAIN::sum_targ_hit_010 field)

That is quite OK.

But. If I would want to know, how much -2, 1 and 2 total records I have with targ_hit_020, I should adjust table relationship with targ::targ_hit_020 = MAIN::targ_hit_010

And it takes quite some time to:
      1) Adjust relationships (for targ_hit_020, targ_hit_030, targ_hit_040, targ_hit_050, targ_hit_060, targ_hit_070, targ_hit_080, targ_hit_090, targ_hit_100)
      2) Browse through all 3 records (-2, 1, 2).

Million-Dollar Question:
      - How to setup a database in a way, that it would give me a spreadsheet-like layout, where I would see all the sum_targ_hit_010, sum_targ_hit_020, sum_targ_hit_030, etc. and all -2, 1 and 2 results easily in one place? (I attach possible excel spreadsheet)

targ_hit.jpg

• 1. Re: Database structure
          philmodjunk

Sorry, but I keep hitting gaps in your description of what you have and what you are trying to do that leave me quite lost.

I suggest trying again and please do not assume that I or any other reader can accurately recall any info you may have shared in a previous thread or private message.