1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:52 PM by philmodjunk

DataBase to Server

thong127

Title

DataBase to Server

Hi to everybody,

Can you help me please...I have a two (2) database and I want them to put into the server, I try to upload them but when I try to open, I cant, it says

This webpage cannot be displayed

Most likely cause:

• some content or files on this webpage require a program that you don't have installed.

what can you try:

• serach online for a program you can use to view this web content.
      • retype the address.
      • go back to the previous page

What should I do to the my database before I put them to the server? do I need to open the filenetwork sharing?

Thank you.

thong

• 1. Re: DataBase to Server
          mrvodka
             What exactly are the steps that you are doing?
          • 2. Re: DataBase to Server
            thong127
               I uploaded the data base to the server, then I rigth click, then I click the Open. but when I try to open by typing the server IP address to my browser I got those messages. 
            • 3. Re: DataBase to Server
              mrvodka

You need to use Pro and connect via Open Remote if you are using client / server. You havent even said whether or not you are using that or IWP, CWP???

• 4. Re: DataBase to Server
                thong127

I'm not using IWP or CWP...this is my first time to upload my database to the server to access by everybody. what should I do?

• 5. Re: DataBase to Server
                  mrvodka

You installed FileMaker Server on your server machine correct? Well you still need FileMaker Pro or Pro Advanced as a "client" to connect to the served files. 

Under the File menu go to Open Remote. As long as the proper ports are not blocked you should be able to see the server. If not, then try typing in the IP address 9 or DNS ) of your server as a favorite.

• 6. Re: DataBase to Server
                    thong127

yup, we installed filemaker server pro advance to our server machine, do we still need to install the filemaker pro advance 10 to our server machine?

• 7. Re: DataBase to Server
                      mrvodka

No I think you are missing the concept here so I am going to give you a sample scenario.

Lets say you have 5 users with their own computers. Then lets say that you have an additional computer that you have designated as a server.

Server Box

Install FileMaker Server ( or Server Advance if using IWP or ODBC /JDBC connectivity )

Computer 1

FileMaker Pro / Pro Advanced

Computer 2

Computer 3

Computer 4

Computer 5

Computers 1-5 will connect to the SERVED files on your server box by going to the File Menu and choosing 'Open Remote'

• 8. Re: DataBase to Server
                        thong127

Thanks for your help mr_vodka, another question before I will upload my database to the server do I need to set up first the account and priveleges?

• 9. Re: DataBase to Server
                          mrvodka
                             It would be best to set them up before you start serving them, but you could still modify them if accessed with a [Full Access] account.
                          • 10. Re: DataBase to Server
                            thong127

Thank you very much mr_vodka. your suggestions are very much appreciated.

thong

• 11. Re: DataBase to Server
                              philmodjunk

It's often useful to install filemaker pro on your server box.

It's not recommended that you run both software at the same time on your server, but sometimes it's convenient to take the files down off the server, open them in filemaker, do a quick fix/adjustment, close the files and bring them back up on the server.

• 12. Re: DataBase to Server
                                thong127

My data base was made in filemaker 10 trial version because we dont have the license software before, now we bougth a new filemaker pro advance 10 and filemaker server pro advance 10, and I tried to publish using IWP but its not working, and I got a message "The webpage cannot be displayed" I tried making a scratch using our new software and its work...what are the possible solutions that I will made? is the data base made from trial version is the possible problem? thanks.

thong

• 13. Re: DataBase to Server
                                  philmodjunk
                                     If you can publish your new file to the web, that rules out server/firewall/port issues that some users find to be a challenge. I'd look at your sharing options for the file and see if something hasn't been selected there like it should.
                                  • 14. Re: DataBase to Server
                                    thong127

Hi Phil,

I'm confuse how to open the database that is on the server? do I go to open,then open remote.?

Thanks.

thong

1 2 Previous Next