6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 4:47 PM by ADRtv

Database window launches partially off-screen to the right

ADRtv

Title

Database window launches partially off-screen to the right

I,m using FM Pro 10.0v3 in a Windows XP Pro and Vista Business environment. I have two databases. The window of the first DB wil launch on the upper left hand corner of the FM application. Whereas, the second DB always launches to the right side of the FM window, almost completely off screen.

Unable to find any method to reposition the window tio the upper left hand corner when launching. It is as though the DataBase window does not retain its location in memory. I have tried relocating the window and quitting the application to no avail. It still launches off screen. I have tried opening this DB on several computers (using remote sharing) and it reacts the same way on all, including the hosting computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

• 1. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
          philmodjunk

I did some experimenting on one of my test files and noted some odd behavior, but it doesn't exactly match what you describe. After several tries of opening/moving/resizing the DB window, I couldn't get it to open in maximized state. It would open in the approximate last postion, but not maximized.

I then wrote a one line script:

Adjust Window [maximize]

And used File options to run this script when the file closed. Now when I re-open this file, it does open in maximized state once again--strange but maybe this suggests a fix for you.

Use the above script if you want the window maximized, or use resize/move window instead if you want to specify a different size and location and see if setting that script to run "on close" resolves the issue for you.

• 2. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
            ADRtv

Thank you for your prompt response. I wanted to avoid using scripts. I wanted both databases to cascade starting at the upper left hand corner and not full screen. There must certainly be an explanation as to why this is happening. At the very least, there should be a reset button somewhere.

Ultimately, I may have to use the script method.

Thanks,

Vince

• 3. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
              ADRtv

UPDATE:

I just reproduced the problem.

It seems that when a new database is created, FileMaker Pro 10 retains the location of the window in subsequent openings of the file.

You can try it yourself:

- Create a NEW database and save it to your desktop

- Drag the window of the DB to the lower part of your FileMaker application window.

- Close application

- Reopen application and window will be at the bottom of screen.

- Move DB window to the top

- Close application once again

- Re-launch application and you will notice that DB window will be positioned at its FIRST location when it was originally created.

This seems to be a bug with the software.

Vince

• 4. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
                philmodjunk

That doesn't match my experiences prior to my earlier post. I found that the window did re-open close to the last position before quitting--it just wouldn't retain the maximized state. I'll experiment with a few more files and see what happens.

Using FMP 10.3 advanced on Windows XP, SP3

• 5. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
                  philmodjunk

I'm back and I report that I can duplicate this behavior. I've also found a no-script fix.

Position your window where you want it. Enter layout mode. Make some small change to the layout. (I used the arrow keys to nudge an object one pixel down, then one pixel up.) Return to browse, saving your "change" to the layout.

Now quit and re-open to see the window open from the new position.

I don't know why this did not happen with an earlier file that I was testing.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Database window launches partially off-screen to the right
                    ADRtv

It WORKS.

THANKS A MILLION,

Vince