3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 8:52 AM by Corné

Database with pictures still large in FMP12

Corné

Title

Database with pictures still large in FMP12

Hello All,

I've got this database with ~500 records with pictures in it. The orginal FMP11 file was 1.2 GB large. Now I have converted the file to FMP12, set the containers to store the picture externally, but still the .fmp12 file is 1.2 GB large. I can see the pictures are stored on the hard drive.

Are there any ways to troubleshoot this?

All the best,

Corné.

• 1. Re: Database with pictures still large in FMP12
          philmodjunk

What insertion option was used? Was Store a Reference Specified?

External storage is a new feature that I am still exploring myself so I don't know if container fields with external storage, but without the "store a reference" option keep an embedded copy of the file in the container or not.

• 2. Re: Database with pictures still large in FMP12
            Corné

Hi Phil,

At first the picutures were still embedded in FMP12 after the import. Then I selected the containers in the Database Manager to store the container data externally in an open storage. Then I saw that files were created at [hosted location]/Files. I figured that after this action the database would shrink just to a few Mbytes, but it didn't.

Store a reference was not an option in this process, since I didn't import pictures in my solution.

Best,

Corné.

• 3. Re: Database with pictures still large in FMP12
              Corné

UPDATE!! Hm, I just checked the database a later later and the file indeed shrinked to 10 MB! Problem solved. Perhaps FMP12 does some cleaning at night?? Thanks for thinking with me Phil!