2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2012 8:02 AM by raybaudi

Date Calculation (Days Elapsed / Open) Not Refreshing

DominickReda

Title

Date Calculation (Days Elapsed / Open) Not Refreshing

Greetings, 

I'm using FMP to track various items. In a form, I have a "Date Observed" field as well as a "Days Open" field. The "Days Open" field has a calculation of: If ( Status="Closed" ; "-" ; Get ( CurrentDate ) - Date Observed)

If the "Status" is not closed, the calculation uses the current date and the observed date to show how many days the item has been open. It works without issue upon entry but when I go back the following day, the "Days Open" result is still the same. The only way I have been able to get it to update is by re-clicking the date obserced in the pop-up calendar. Is there some kind of refresh script I need to make?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Dominick -

• 1. Re: Date Calculation (Days Elapsed / Open) Not Refreshing
          Padster

Hi Dominick,

Where are you making this calculation happen?

I went through a similar process when looking at creating a view for activity in the previous quarter.

In the table where 'Days Open' resides, make the field an 'Calculation'. Then, set your calculation as above. With the calculation window, there should be a 'Storage Option' button in the bottom right, in here, check the box for 'Do not Store Calculation Results -- Recalculate when needed'.

This should resolve the issue of the item not updating from day to day.

Be aware that if you are doing any searches or filters based on this filter, it can slow down the results return in larger DB. On the plus side, the Unstored nature helps to make the db that little bit smaller.

Pad 

• 2. Re: Date Calculation (Days Elapsed / Open) Not Refreshing
            raybaudi

To have that calculation auto-updated, the result of that calculation must be unstored.
            ( see the storage options for that field )