2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 9:09 AM by Embee

Date ENTRY format?

Embee

Title

Date ENTRY format?

Hi fmp's,

I need all of my dates to be formatted as YYMMDD, and have managed to get them all to DISPLAY this way.

But is there no way that I can also be allowed to ENTER dates in this format?

Please tell me if I am missing something obvious, or if filemakers special date-storing makes my request impossible.

Thanks, EmmBee

• 1. Re: Date ENTRY format?
          philmodjunk

No date is stored the way it is displayed. Dates in FileMaker are actually integers that count the numer of days since 12/31/0000.

If you want to specify a date format for entering the date--as opposed to how it is displayed, you will need to get a bit creative.

You can set up a text field for data entry and a date field with an auto-enter calcualtion that converts the text entered in the text field into a true date.

If you have FileMaker 11, you can set up a script performed by the OnObjectValidate trigger to convert the YYMMDD text typed into the date field into a true date before the data validation kicks in and tries to tell you that you have entered an invalid date.

• 2. Re: Date ENTRY format?
            Embee

Thanks Phil,

I knew the storage-stuff already, but I do find it weird that you cannot "sync" the display-format with the entry-format.

I - at least - would like those two synced for all my uses of dates. But thanks for the clarification on the non-existence of this ability. I'll be looking into your suggestion instead.

- Emmbee