2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2011 3:30 PM by LeoB

Date field display issue

LeoB

Title

Date field display issue

I have a date field that's auto-entered when only certain users approve the record via a button.  The button inserts the user's name in one field and the current date in another.  That part works fine.

After the approval record button is clicked, the name inserts and is displayed normally.  However, the date field displays the computer generated date format (with a white background), not in the date display format I'm using.  Clicking anywhere else on the layout then changes the date field to the right format/color.

I tried adding to the script a Refresh Window step, but that made no difference.  I then tried a Go To Field step, and that did display the date properly but then would lead the user to believe that something must be done in that field that it goes to.

Does anybody have a tip as to how I can get the date to display my date format immediately?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Date field display issue
          philmodjunk

Yes, I believe your cursor is still in the date field. When you exit the field and commit the record the field updates to use the specified format. That leads me to believe that you are using an Insert calculated result script step. If you instead use the Set Field step, you never put the cursor into this field in the first place.

I never use the Insert steps unless I have no reasonable alternative. Set Field and Set Variable simply work better for most uses and don't have the limitations of an Insert step. (Insert steps silently fail if the referenced field is not present on the current layout.)

• 2. Re: Date field display issue
            LeoB

You nailed it.  Changed to set field and it works like I want.

Thanks (again).