4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 10:17 AM by philmodjunk

Date range in portal only showing records from 1st date

VenturaDon

Title

Date range in portal only showing records from 1st date

I "assumed" a portal could display all records from a find range of dates, but my portal only shows the records from the first date. The tool status area, however, does in fact show the correct number count of the found record set.

Am I missing something fundamental on setting up my portal? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Date range in portal only showing records from 1st date
          philmodjunk

The found set shown in the status area has nothing to do with the number of records shown in your portal.

What expression did you use for your date range? Is this a portal filter expression?

You can match records in a portal filter expression or in the underlying relationship to list records from a specified date range, but you cannot use the date1...date2 format you would use for performing a find. You have to use inequality operators to specify the date range instead.

Say you enter the two dates in to global date fields, gDate1 and gDate2 to specify the date range. Then you can use this portal filter expression to filter the records down to just those related records within that date range:

GlobalsTable::gDate1 < PortalTable::DateField And GlobalsTable::gDate2 > PortalTable::DateField

• 3. Re: Date range in portal only showing records from 1st date
            VenturaDon

Back again...

Last night I realized I needed a button script to find a date range for a portal in a layout and NOT a portal filter. I now understand I can't use the date1...date2 format for a portal, so I've tried multiple other expressions to no avail. I DID discover that in using the date1...date2 expression, say in requesting records from 3 separate days, I could click the "next" button in the status area and when it got to the first record of the 2nd day, all those days records would appear in the portal, same for third day, etc - but I also now know the status area has nothing to do with the portal.

On a different layout (no portal), the global date field searches (date1...date2) work fine.

The script I quit with is:

Enter Find Mode [ ]
            Set Field [ PortalTable::DateField; PortalTable::gDateField1 & "..." & PortalTable::gDateField2 ]
            New Record/Request
            Set Error Capture On [ ]
            Perform Find [ ]

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Date range in portal only showing records from 1st date
              philmodjunk

Last night I realized I needed a button script to find a date range for a portal in a layout and NOT a portal filter.

Why is that? (Perhaps there's a way to use that filtered portal after all...)

To make the relationship include the date range instead of the portal filter you can use a relationship such as this:

LayoutTable::gDateField1 < PortalTable::DateField AND
              LayoutTable::gDateField2 > PortalTable::DateField

Note that the two global date fields must be defined in the layout's table instead of the portal.

About that script.

There's no need for the New Record/Request step. I'd delete it if I were you.

This script, if perfomed on a layout based on PortalTable, will find all records in the portal table that have a date in DateField inside the specified date range.

If performed on the layout with the portal, it finds all layout table records that have at least one portal record with a date in the specified range. Once the find is perfomed, all related portal records, not just the ones in the date range, will be shown in the portal for each layout record thus found.