8 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 8:44 AM by philmodjunk

DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot

sraDBAdmin

Title

DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot

We are running FMP 12 with FMS 12 on a Mac network (Mac Mini Server / Mac desktops).  Each user account is set up with the "User must change password at next logon" option DISABLED.  

When users reboot their machines, FMP asks them to reset their password the next time they open the database.  It does not recognize the password set in the Security settings.  The user us unable to log on until I delete their user profile and create a new one.

I have double checked the user password change option, and have double checked the user passwords.  When the user account is re-created with the same password, this password DOES open the database--until system reboot.

What could cause this?  I can't keep re-creating user accounts each time they reboot.

I appreciate your help.  Thank you!

• 1. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
          philmodjunk

Is keychain set up on their computers to aut0matically enter passwords? Might it be what is being affected by the reboot? (I'm not a mac user so I know this utility exists, but that's about it.)

Might you have server side authentication set up for your database?

• 2. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
            sraDBAdmin

Thank you--you pointed me in the right direction with regard to Keychain.  The user's keychain app does save the PW for our DB.  This raises a few questions:

Why does a reboot affect the login via the Keychain?

Can we set Keychain to not manage the password at all?

Also--Keychain does not appear to save my password, which is an admin account.  

• 3. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
              sraDBAdmin

Any further ideas on this issue?  Right now I have to re-create users every time they log out or reboot as it is the only way to get their passwords recognized.  When they open filemaker after doing this Filemaker doesn't bring up the typical start screen--we get a file browser to go look for our database document, then the user passwords don't work once we open it.

I have tried deleting the Keychain entry for the FM database, which did not work.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
                philmodjunk

When they open filemaker after doing this Filemaker doesn't bring up the typical start screen--we get a file browser to go look for our database document,

Whether or not you see the quick start screen when you launch FileMaker is a setting selected in FileMaker Help.

then the user passwords don't work once we open it.

From what you describe, I think that your are confusing user names with account names. When you log into a filemaker database, you enter the account name in the first box and the password into the second. Account names are specified in Manage | Security. User names are specified in preferences and can be affected by what computer user name was used when logging into the computer.

When you first open a password protected file, FileMaker enters the current user name as the default account name. My guess here is that you need to delete that auto-entered user name and enter the correct account name along with the correct password for that account.

• 5. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
                  sraDBAdmin

We have seen Filemaker default to using the users full first and last name in the account name box on the login form.  We manually change it to the database account name, which is first initial last name (no spaces).  We then type in the password that was set under the security section in Filemaker.

We believe that we are using the correct information to attempt our login.  If I delete the user's account under Manage / Security and create a new one with the same account name and password it works fine--until the next login.

• 6. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
                    philmodjunk

Then perhaps you have more than one file here and do not have perfectly matching Account names and passwords. Simply not capitalizing a password the same way would be enough to cause a password dialog to open, but for the other file.

But as TSGal has pointed out in your duplicate thread over in Report an Issue, this would not cause the reset password dialog to open without some additional factors being involved here.

• 7. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
                      sraDBAdmin

Hi Phil,

I apologize if this was considered duplicate posting.  With the troubleshooting I did as part of your guidance it truly began to seem more of a larger  issue (whether Filemaker, or use of it on our particular platform) than a scripting or other user error.

Thank you for your help.  I didn't mean to offend with the related forum post.

• 8. Re: DB Asking for User Password Reset after workstation reboot
                        philmodjunk

No offense taken or intended. But TSGal had pointed out what I felt was a key point about what you had reported here and I wanted to emphasize that this was an issue not being addressed by my comments here.