3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 8:45 AM by Radcon

Dbase II conversion

richardtwright

Title

Dbase II conversion

This is a long shot but ...

I have a DBase II database of about 10,000 records, 5 fields, that I contracted to have compiled many years ago.

In the intervening years it was updated but, the updates have been lost.

I now want to convert or update this information. So...

I have 4 5.25 inch discs in CP/m Kaypro format, Dbase II and want to end up with FMP10 on my Mac.

I have the Kaypro, the discs are still readable and the Kaypro has a serial port.

With the thousands of records I have I am sure the transfer will take hours but that's fine.

Has anyone done anything similar or do you know how this might be done. I know a simple Serial cable to USB ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks,

Richard 

Rciahrd 

• 1. Re: Dbase II conversion
          TSGal

richardtwright:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro does not read dBASE II files; only dBASE III and IV.  Instead copy the information to text files.  For example,

. USE <database file>

. COPY TO <text file name> TYPE DELIMITED

This will create a comma-delimited text file that can be imported into FileMaker Pro (or Bento).

Once you have the text file, you will need a utility on CP/M to move the files to another machine through a serial port.  If the Kaypro has a modem, then find another machine with a modem to accept the file.

A data service that moves Kaypro files to another machine may be difficult to find, but may be worth the search.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Dbase II conversion
            richardtwright

Hi;

Well we got it done.

First we transfered the 5.25 discs to Drive:B in a comma deliminated .txt file.

Then we tried to find a 5.25 disc drive to move the info to a Linux machine, but both the 5.25 drives we had were NFG. That took awhile to give up on.

Then we found a CP/m modem file called Mod7R65 for the Kaypro and my computer guy who was doing all this found a model file for Linux machine.  A couple of serial cables and after a few false starts we had them talking to each other. Then we had to download some more modem packets but soon we had it transfering.  The 6 files and 12,000 records took about 30 min. to transfer and soon I had all the files on a CD, which I quickly backed up and then moved to a basic Filemaker db.  Now I will try and separate some of the fields, like dividing the name field into two fields and clean up a few others.

A great project which retrieved some 1986 files.

Thanks for your help.

Richard 

• 3. Re: Dbase II conversion
              Radcon
                 I am glad to hear that you solved this problem, and thank for telling us how it was done.  I used to use dBase II on a Kaypro, but I honestly could not remember any details.  I was feeling your pain, but couldn't help!