2 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 7:25 AM by deathrobot

DDR showing mysterious uses of value lists

deathrobot

Title

DDR showing mysterious uses of value lists

I am nearing the end of my solution development, and am finding fields, value lists, etc. that are not being used or referenced. I ran a DDR and am currently going through the Value Lists table. There are 2 or 3 value lists that are indicated as being used on layouts where they shouldn't be. However, when I go to those layouts to look for the fields that use them, I cannot find them. I have:

1) clicked on every field and watched the inspector
           2) done a select all and looked for field boundries that might be hidden beneath other objects
           3) used the data viewer to run "FieldNames ( Get ( FileName ) ; Get ( LayoutName) )" to see if there are fields that I am not seeing

None of those are uncovering the mysterious use of the value list.

Are DDR's sometimes wrong? Is my file corrupt? Are there ways the list could be used that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for any help with this!

Michael

• 1. Re: DDR showing mysterious uses of value lists
          philmodjunk

DDR's are far from perfect, but I haven't seen any reports that this part of the DDR has a problem.

Two Things that you can try to learn more:

Make a copy of your file, remove one of these value lists from that copy and then test the layouts that were listed in your DDR to see if anything breaks.

With the DDR open in your web browser, do a text search for the name of the value list and note each place in the DDR where the value list appears. You may find a reference to your value list in a different part of the DDR that clears up the mystery. (If the value list has a generic name, you may want to temporarily rename the value list as something very unique, produce a new DDR and then text search for this more unique name.)

• 2. Re: DDR showing mysterious uses of value lists
            deathrobot

Thanks, Phil. I tried your second suggestion first, and while the Value Lists section of the DDR showed the value list being used on many layouts, a find on the value list name in the DDR did not show any unusual uses on those layouts; the Layouts section of the DDR showed the expected fields and expected field names. Strange…

I also tried your first suggestion, and nothing seemed to break. So, I made a copy of the value list, applied that copy to the field I needed it on, and deleted the original. A new DDR shows everything correct, but I can't help but think there's still a hidden object on those layouts…

Michael