4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 10:22 AM by TSGal

De-Activing FMP on a Mac

BayArea123

Title

De-Activing FMP on a Mac

About 8 months ago I got a FMP license for work, on my PC.  I used the same license number at home on my Mac (cause I work from home a lot too) and everything has worked fine until about 2 weeks ago.  Now at work when I try to open FMP I get a "Activating" scrolling bar, and nothing happens.  I am assuming my double-use of the license finally caught up to me? Strange the timing though. 

So I guess my first question is, is that what the problem actually is?  I can open FMP at home just fine still, same license.

Second question is, if that is the problem, would dragging the program to the Trash on my Mac de-activate it?  Or do I need to do something more elaborate?  It is more important to have it on my PC at work

Thanks 

• 1. Re: De-Activing FMP on a Mac
          david_lalonde@d-cogit.ca

The licencing allows you to have a second copy of the software installed for just the reason you are - to have an office and a home copy. The only stipulation is that only one copy may be active at any one time.

This said, do not delete your home copy. The problem lies elsewhere. Where? That, I do not know. 

• 2. Re: De-Activing FMP on a Mac
            BayArea123
               Really?  That is good to know, but now I don't know where to begin to find out what the problem is.  This was actually from a 5-pack set, and I used this one license twice, at home and at work.  Others at work used the other licenses.   I have no idea where to even begin trying to figure out what the problem is hmmmm.  I won't deactivate at home though until I figure it out.  At work, the database is in a shared drive on the PC's, maybe that has something to do with it?
            • 3. Re: De-Activing FMP on a Mac
              BayArea123

So when I try to open FileMaker again at work I get a "general activation error has occured (50040)" box that pops up, this is after 5 minutes of the scrolling bar "Activating, and Waiting for response"

Does this help at all? 

Thanks for any help

• 4. Re: De-Activing FMP on a Mac
                TSGal

BaryArea123:

Thank you for your post.

If you are getting a "general activation error", then you are using FileMaker Pro 9.

From Knowledge Base Article #6794 (http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6794):

"Due to changes on your computer, your activation must be repaired.  The error is displayed when you have reached the maximum number of allocated repairs.

A repair could b triggered by various factors such as reformatting or reinstalling the OS on your hard drive.  It is strongly advised that you deactivate your existing software by selecting "Help > Deactivate" prior to making changes to your computer."

If you are located in North America, please contact our Customer Assistance department at toll-free 800-325-2747.  For offices outside of North America, go to our web site, www.filemaker.com, select your country (or region) in the upper right corner pop-up, and find the office nearest you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.