3 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 8:23 AM by philmodjunk

Dealing with duplicates in FileMaker Pro

ZdenkoPasarić

Title

Dealing with duplicates in FileMaker Pro

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to FileMaker.

Before buying FileMaker I was using a software which provided me with an easy way to deal with duplicates.

When I created the new contact, the software was checking the database of existing customers and if a new contact had the same first and second name, the software asked me: "Do you want to create a new record, or should we treat it as a duplicate?"

Now in FileMaker I don't see this feature. I am using a started solution, the template named "Ivoices"

• 1. Re: Dealing with duplicates in FileMaker Pro
          philmodjunk

You can trap for duplicate first name combinations by doing the following:

Define a textfield, FullName with this auto-entered calculation or something similar:

FirstName & " " & LastName

clear the "Do not replace existing value..." check box.

Click the validation tab and specify Unique Values. If you permit users to override this warning here, you can put up a custom validation message that says. "This is a duplicate first, last name..." or some such.

This doesn't do all that you want here, but it's what's available as a "built in" feature of Filemaker. Scripts and script triggers can be set up in quite a few different ways to deal with this problem. In a Volunteer Registration database that I set up for a local ministry, I pop up a floating window for the user to use to enter a first and last name. When they click a button in the window, it closes and a script searches for any records with the same name. If it finds any, it displays their records and gives the user the option of creating a new record (New person but same name as another volunteer) or not to (person is already registered).

"Treat it as a duplicate" is a bit vague here. What should happen if this is a duplicate entry?

• 2. Re: Dealing with duplicates in FileMaker Pro
            ZdenkoPasarić

[quote]

When they click a button in the window, it closes and a script  searches for any records with the same name. If it finds any, it  displays their records and gives the user the option of creating a new  record (New person but same name as another volunteer) or not to (person  is already registered).

"Treat it as a duplicate" is a bit vague here. What should happen if this is a duplicate entry?[/quote]

Yes, this is the exact thing I want to have. Either create a new record, or edit the old one.

The problem is, my current template does not let me create a new record with the same first and second name.

• 3. Re: Dealing with duplicates in FileMaker Pro
              philmodjunk

This is probably due to the validation rule I described in my last post. If you open Manage | Database | Fields, find the auto-entry field that combines first, last names and double click it, you'll bring up the field options for that name and you can click the validation tab to see if "unique values" was selected for that field. You can remove that validation option or make it something that warns the user but still permits data overrides.

In the method I described, earlier, I use separate global text fields for the user to initially enter a first and last name and then use Set Field in the script to transfer the names to the actual name fields if there is no matching name or the user elects to go ahead and create the new record with the same name anyway.