1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 11:56 AM by philmodjunk

Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user

HughVon987654321

Title

Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user

Dear Filemaker Friends November 28, 2012

I am a Newby to Filemaker Pro 12, used on a Mackintosh Lion, I don't think its a Snow Leapord?  In fact I don't even own the Computer. in fact I don't even own a computer.

Here is the problem, my Friend brought me a computer from their School District and asked me to create a database

with Filemaker Pro 12 for Mac. and a bunch of videos,  that they purchased From John, he lives in California and apparently uses Filemaker for his buisness, I think he called his company Claris, a little dog chasing his tail.

anyway John's videos did provide some help for a begginer such as myself. but I lost interest when he used an Alphanumeric number for his serial number.

and I really liked the Movies that came with Filemaker Pro 12  they were helpful, and you have really a lot of smart innovative people. The book was Ok but I really got tired of Bonzai stuff in a hurry.

never fear I will eventually get around to my question, Please don't confuse slow with stupid, I am very slow and meticulous, but don't consider myself stupid. at least I don't.

Now to the question, as a former Microsoft Access 2007 user, they had one button on their database, that made alot of sense to me, it was called? I'm thinking it was called Refresh The Database button ? I think that was what it was called.

anyway the Button refreshed all files and database updates. I don't see that type of feature on Filemaker.

as I was saying I have completed my very simple but Rigid, Extreamly Rigid Database, for the said friend.

and it works just wonderfully except if you make a mistake and delete a record or want to change a field or make a mistake once the record is commited, the only way to get the database to work again is to delete all files, and go back and reset all the primary and foreign keys.

my question is  besides  paying your gurus megaboogu bucks. how else might one reset a mistake made with the database. and I don't want any scripts, and I don't want long complex calculations, and I don't want alot of  While Do Loops

my database as I said is very simple,  Add1 + Add2 + Add3 = answer.

thankyou for you help

sincerely Hugh V987654321

• 1. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
          philmodjunk

Please note that I am not an employee of FileMaker Inc. nor Apple Computer.

You post a great many words but say very little.

Without a much more detailed undertanding of your "simple", "rigid" database, there is no way for anyone to answer your questions.

I've worked with both FileMaker Pro and MS Access for many years--never saw any need for the "button" you describe for either system.

• 2. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
            davidanders

There are some simple examples and explanations in this Link List.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

This is a guideline for providing information when asking for help.

Please Help Us to Help You...

• 3. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
              HughVon987654321

Dear Filemaker Friends November 30, 2012

Thankyou for your quick and kindly responses, although not very helpful, at least we have accertained that someone from Filemaker

actually responds at this website.

Let me try again:

1.) I am working on a MacKintosh computer it has a little white apple on the front, It is a very recent model purchased this year,

oh yes its a laptop. I think the Operating System is one step up from a Snow Lepoard what ever that means?

2.) I don't know what type of server My small database will operate on, but it too is probably a Macintosh

3.) I was given the Computer reluctantly to help some School Teachers create a database for their schools.

4.) The Program I was given was Filemaker Pro 12:Advanced , With a Big Thick Manual about Filemaker Pro 12, that has abunch of stuff about      Bonsai Company, and some Starter Solutions that were not of much help, unless you actually worked for the Bonsai Company, also I was given  some videos purchased from John, who lives in California with his dogs.  for Filemaker Pro:Begginers, these were of some slight help.

5.)  So those are the tools I was given to create a Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced program database.

6.) Now Filemaker Pro 12 Advanced also came with its own videos, modual 3.1, modual 3.2, modual 4.1  .... upto Modual 12.1, these were of a little more use, but most of what was covered in those videos was mostly Layout Formating, Scripting, and some on  Security. these did prove some what useful

7.) what was not covered in better detail at least in your videos was, how to create a database, how to form meaningful relationships in a database, although she did cover LIneItem hook to Product so on and so forth. what was missed is How does an = Relationship actually do anything, one to one , one to many, many to many. and yes your text book did talk about it but certainly didnot show how Bonsai Greenhouse went form a Blank Database to a functional working database.

8.)  as to your software, It has many neet inovation, I really like, using PDF files to print to. I like your Report and Theme layouts, I really like your Container Fields, and I haven't used the Portal Fields yet. but they could prove useful, and your security menus are far supeirior to Microsofts, and easier to use.

9.) Now with the limited help I recieved from all your helpers, I have been able to put together a very rigid what I would call a Numeric Totals Constantly Running Database. the flow of data is simply one to one, one in one out. the rigidity comes because if even one single record is Deleted after being Commited by Click, or if any single numeric value is changed, after a record is commited, the Database Crashes, and puts out nothing but garbage. Value in =/  Correct Value Out. Did I make myself clear?  I didn't realize this until I tried making a subsummary and a Grand Summary in the Report Layout, of a Running Total or Total Subsummary that is running, I then realized that Filemaker was designed to work with Stagnant Data. you no Stagnant Data like in an Excel File. it just sits there. and that is just all fine and well for the Bonsai Greenhouse because there is really not much action really going on there. I hopee I am a little clearer in my explanation.

10.) What I would like to avoid, is having to use Scripting, and While Do Let If This Than That Loops, Else, "0", I don't no if that is really realistic. but that is my wish list.

11.)  As for my Little  Numerically Strict  Database, it currently works perfectly well, produce perfectly accurate numeric results, returns near perfect Reports (you should be complimented on that), and has the potential to provide access to I-Pads, and I-Phones on the go. (and why someone would need to view a database on a subway or in a carpool is beyond me? like I said they are School Teachers) now my small Databse posses only one grave fault, and this is what I need to have help in resolving, it has one Fatal Flaw, and that is the School Secreteries entering in the Data from off the Keyboard. Unlike a computer if the make a mistake with even on digit, or one value, or one decimal place,, the Database Crashes and puts out nothing but Garbage.. that is the problem. 

12.) My ownly current solution is to not allow any deletion of records, no re-entering of numeric values in a committed record. and having Dummy Records being entered so as to not to upset the Flow of Data, and even these Dummy Records cannot be edited, now this has caused a stir  among the School Secretaries that may cause the total failure of my small but powerful dtabase to be executed .

13.) And that is probably the best solution, then they will quit pestering me to create them a database that could be used to run the U.S. treasury. since they expect me to do it for free. and I really don't mind helping out the public school. They claim I am there last resort, since they have already spent tens of thousands on useless Database Gurus familiar with Filemaker who have consulted them but produced nothing.

so if you can be of some help in solving my problem,  it would be greatly appreciated. I just  want anyone  trying to steal my little powerful database.

thankyou

sincerely Hugh

• 4. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                philmodjunk

No one from FileMaker has responded to you.

And this will be my last response to this thread unless follow up posts kepp to the point with desriptions of the design of your database. Sorry, but I just don't have the time or patience to wade through all the complaints about other people just to find there isn't enough detail about what you have designed with the data base to be able to help you.

Simply entering incorrect data should not crash a fileMaker database. Something else would appear to be the cause of that.

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
                     Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
                     The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
                3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
                     That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 5. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                  HughVon987654321

Thanks once again PhilModJunk for responding. even tho you donot work for Filemaker I do appreciate your response.

you posted quote: "

Simply entering incorrect data should not crash a fileMaker database. Something else would appear to be the cause of that.

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:"

you could possibly be correct that is what I would normally assume,

but let me give you a simple senario that will crash Filemaker,

and let me say that I can see that we need a common definition between between us as to what constitutes a crash.

A crash of a databse to Hugh means that a databse has crashed if it begins producing erroneous results not supported by  accepted Algebraic Theory. and the use of computers by nature make these crashes difficult to be seen.

now to the senario.

Let us create a Table say Table Call It Table A

and in Table A

Let us set a kp primary key in Table A we will call this key  _kp_A  and make this a numeric, to a serial value of 1, let it increment by 1, let us make this an numeric value only, Not Empty, Unique, Donot allow user to edit this value,

let this value be validated always, let this value be validated strictly numeric only no Aplphanumeric values, even tho Filemaker assures us that said Alphanumerics are ingnored when processed,  as to Storage Let this value be indexed, Always,

Now let us create a Table B

Let us set a kp primary key in Table B we will call this key  _kp_B  and make this a numeric, to a serial value of 1, let it increment by 1, let us make this an numeric value only, Not Empty, Unique, Donot allow user to edit this value,

let this value be validated always, let this value be validated strictly numeric only no Aplphanumeric values, even tho Filemaker assures us that said Alphanumerics are ingnored when processed,  as to Storage Let this value be indexed, Always,

Now in Table B we will  also create a Foreign Key from Table A

we will call this key  _kf_A,    let this key  be Numeric, let us Look Up a value from Table A and place this value into our foreign key -kf_A

Donot allow this value to be edited by the user,  let this value be validated Always, let this value, be strickly numeric, let us store this value with Indexing set to none, let filemaker decide if it needs indexing.

we will need to create a relationship between Table A and Table B let us call this relationship  _kp_A = _kf  A  we will not specify wether the relation allows the creation  or deletion of  records.

now back to Table A

we will create a Field  Doughnuts_Cost  we will make this a Numeric field that only allows numbers. let this field be not empty,  the cost of a doughnut. each Doughnut wil cost $1

Let us then create another field called  Doughnuts_Total_Running_Summary field, let us make this field a Total Summary of Doughnuts_Cost

now each time a record is entered into Table A our  Doughnuts_Total_Running_Summary will update the total we have spent on Doughnuts.

Let us make a Third Table let us call this Table C

let us give it all the relationships between B and C that we established between A and B

let us create in the said Table C

a calculation that gathers values from Table A and B and makes that a Total Summary.

now as long as equal numbers of records are entered into  Table A and Table B and Table C we should get correct results

say we enter 10 records into Table A we get the cost $1 ten times worth of doughnuts and our Doughnuts_Total_Running_Summary is $10

(You are following this aren't you?)

Now let us enter 10 Records into Table B, were we have set up a reference field to Table A were we look up a value get the Dougnuts_Cost  number, from Table A and we get again a Doughnuts_Total_Running_Summary is $10

Now in Table C  we create

a Total_running Summary field of values from Table B

and again we get a Doughnuts_Total_Running_Summary vale of $10

when we  create 10 records

now our database

is working perfectly well at counting the Cost of Doughnuts for our database.

but wait we realize that the cost of doughnuts has gone down because we have a coupon, and the cost is only $0.75 so once again we go back to table A and edit our values, but low we have already commited our records never the less we enter in $0.75 hoping somehow that the relationships we have formed will see the change in our value, but alas once commited our records cannot be edited or even deleted, try deleting one record from A and putting in the new correct value into Record 11.

yet our Table C has not updated and is now still putting out totals running at $10.00 for doughnuts and we have Garbage in and Garbage out

and our Database has crashed, the only solution is to go back delete all our records from A B and C and reset our serial keys to 1.

now if you followed all that you would realize that indeed Filemaker has Crashed. and is putting out Garbage.

If you didn't follow that, that is why you have alot of unhappy Bonsai Greenhouse owners.

sincerely Hugh

• 6. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                    philmodjunk

Note that simple table and field names are much easier to track mentally than an alphabet soup of letters.

I think that you have these relationships:

TableC>-----TableA------<TableB

TableA::_kp_A = TableB::_kf_A
                         TableA::_kp_A = TableC::_kf_A

If this notation is unfamiliar, see: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Another simple way to document your relationships in this forum that will save you a lot time spent typing is to upload a screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationshiups.

It appears that you are using looked up value settings in Field Options to copy data from a field in a record of one table into a field of a record in another table. If so, then your database has not crashed nor is it outputting garbage. It is doing exactly what you designed it to do, but this is not what you want it to do.

Looked up values are physical copies of the data from another table. They do not automatically update when a value in the original table is edited. This is a good thing as invoicing systems use this method to compute current prices on items purchased and we would not want a price change to affect the prices computed in invoices created prior to when the price change went into effect.

If you want a live link to data in one table from the context of another, do not use a looked up value field, just add the field from the first table to the layout based on the second. You can also define an unstored calculation field in one table that references data in another. In both of these cases, changes to the data in the original table will automatically update what is seen from the context of the related table.

• 7. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                      HughVon987654321

Hello PhilModJunk December 04, 2012

quote: """Note that simple table and field names are much easier to track mentally than an alphabet soup of letters.

I think that you have these relationships:

If this notation is unfamiliar, see: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained """""

The problem I am having is with execution not notation

Perhaps you could answer some other questions for me, concerning execution of the database.

I have already turned the Database over to the School District for experimental implementation.

they will attempt a dry run test of the database here in the near future. I think it will be ok, but the Schools will not be able to edit or delete commited records, I don't think that will be a problem since they mostly deal with small groups of records. that must be very, very accurate.

1.) since I don't have any experience in implementing a multi-computer execution of the database, will it be possible to execute say 7 local computers (At Each School) and connect to a single computer or Server at (The School District) without purchasing the Filemaker Server Software. They would like to do a dry Test run of Filemaker before they implement it into their program.

2.) I am confident about the Database on a single local computer, but I am not sure if it will lock up when used by several computers at once. I Don't think it should be a problem since each school must access the program through one security stringent login. so what I am saying is School A has their own small database and School B has their own small database access and these are all collected at School District C database access.

anyway any help would be appreciated

sincerely Hugh

• 8. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                        philmodjunk

The problem I am having is with execution not notation

The problem you are having is in correctly designing your database. I posted what I did so that you could confirm whether or not I was correctly understanding the design of your database.

1) FileMaker Pro can "host" up to 9 client computers linking to the host computer via "open Remote" from the file menu. Do not try to share the file via File Sharing off a shared directory like you would with MS Access as this can corrupt the database file. Instead, you open the database with Filemaker Pro on the server and then the client users launch filemaker Pro and use Open Remote to access the database. Each install of FileMaker must have a different license code or be the code of a volume license or this will not work.

2) All databases have to be able to manage "edit locks" on individual records. When one user puts the cursor in a field, that record is "opened" for editing by that user and other users will be locked out of editing that record until the first user commits the record.That's the only type of "lockup" you are likely to encounter with a simple FileMaker database hosted over a network. Don't know if this is still true, but it used to be that shared MS Access databases would lock up blocks of adjacent records when one record was opened for editing--which could really be a pain to deail with. FileMaker does a much better job of only locking the record that the user opened for editing.

But I really think you need to invest more time in learning how to design your database. Filemaker simply does not do things the way Access or another SQL based databse system does and it's easy to reach for that familiar "SQL tool" only to find that it isn't an option in FileMaker as it has a very different way of doing the same thing.

• 9. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                          HughVon987654321

Dear PhilModJunk December 05, 2012

Thankyou again for your response, what you posted on the Host connections I will look over, and try to assimulate the information.

1.) I guess the follow up question is will Filemaker Server make implementation of the Database easier and easier to maintain?

2.) and I would like to return to the question of the Database

I completely inderstand the flow of your diagram

3. The flow of my diagram however

TableA>-----TableB------>TableC

TableA::_kp_A = TableC::_kf_A     } these would be ok as is no change needed

4.) now lets make this a very, very simple Database, with only one calculation and one result returned

Table A will include only  two defined Do Something Fields

1st Field) Doughnuts_Cost   a number  {will have no auto entry, Validation only requires Number, Storage Indexing None, Auto as Needed

you type in a value in, currency into the specified field, Dougnuts_Cost   example $1.00

now we will need a second Field

2nd Field) Total_Doughnuts_Cost  a Summary Field that keeps Tract of The TOTAL value of Doughnuts_Cost  so for each new Record

either Entrered or Deleted we want Total_ Doughnuts_Cost to return a correct value.

and Finally we will Add only one more Table to our Database Table B

in Table B  we will only need one do Something Field besides your foreign and Primary Keys

1st Field) Total_Doughnuts_COst_From_Table_A this will be a simple Number field,

what our objective is, is to get a value (wether by rat_scratch or scribble) I don't care how you do it, wether by lookup, or by calculation

we want, is to get the current value stored in Table A, out of Table A and see the same result in Table B

with only one caviot that the value must update itself wether records are deleted from Table A or Not.

Thats it.

can you show all of us how Filemaker can accomplish such a feat? because I am at a loss.

sincerely Hugh 

• 10. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                            philmodjunk

1) easier as to compared to what? What kind of maintenance? The data or the design?

I find FileMaker generally very easy to work with, but I'm coming from the perspective of using FileMaker for many years over many versions and on both Mac and Windows platforms. It's been my experience via this forum that users with prior experience with SQL based DB systems such as MS Access often have some initial difficulty figuring FileMaker out due to its different approach to many tasks compared towhat you would use in the other systems. This can require a bit of a mental "gear shift" before you find yourself working more smoothly with this development tool.

FileMaker Advanced can make development much easier than using FileMaker Pro. It has added value tools, a few, such as a script debugger and dataviewer, that can save a lot of time when developing or modifying a solution.

And the design choices that you make can make a big difference in how easy it is to maintain your database. As an Access user, you may be familiar with "splitting" a database file into "front" and "back" ends. This is also possible in FileMaker, though there is no built in tool for doing so. See this thread on the data separation model if you are interested in that approach: Convert to Seperation Model

2 & 3. No big deal here. We are simply using the notation a bit differently. When I use   Table 1-----<Table 2, I am recreating an entity relationship type of diagram in text format. The ----< stands for a "one to many" relationship. You appear to be using the arrows to make a data flow diagram where you show the direction that data "flows" from one table to another. So we would appear to be on the same page (or darn close).

4. You do not need any such "do something field" in the second table. (In the original table, this "do something field" should be of type number.).

With a relationship linking Table A to Table B, you can simply add the field from Table A to the Table B layout and it will show the value from Table A. Enter layout mode, drag and drop from the field tool to place a new field object on your Table B layout, but select Table A from the drop down at the top of the Specify Fields layout. Then click the desired field from Table A to add it to your layout.

But one caveat: This will show a field from a single record in Table A on your Table B based layout. If there are multiple records in Table A that match to the current record in Table B, you are seeing data from the First such related record. To get the total of all these related records, you can refer to the summary field, but only if the summary field is NOT defined as a running total summary field. If you reference a running total summary field, you'll get the running total from the very first record. Thus, you may need to define a second summary field the same as the first except that you do not select the "running total" option.

Note: The "first" related record will be the oldest related record if the relationship is unsorted. If you specify a sort order for the relationship, you can control which record is the "first" related record.

Another way to get an aggregate value such as a total for a set of related records would be to define a calculation field in Table B that uses an aggregate function such as Sum ( TableA::DonutCost ) to compute the total of the set of matching records in Table A. Calculation fields will be a new concept for you as Access doesn't have them, but it's how FileMaker works since you can't put a calculation into the form's data source SQL like you can in Access.

Some other suggested directions you can explore to further your knowledge:

Look up "Portal" in FileMaker help and any training materials that you have. A portal is FileMaker's version of the "subForm" that you may be familiar with in Access. It's a very useful tool on layouts when working with multiple related records from the context of the Parent record to which they are linked in a relationship.

See this thread on "table occurrences". This will be a new concept and understanding how table occurrences control the function of your database is key to moving past the "beginner level" when designing effective databases in FileMaker Pro: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 11. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                              HughVon987654321

Hello PhilModJunk December 06,2012, Thanks again with your response

and as I mentioned I am just a begginer with Filemaker, let me clarify from Table A to Table B    is a one to one relation at least with the referencing table graph it would appear like this             TableA                                                             TableB

-kp_TableA----------------------=-----------------kf_TableA

Dougnuts_Cost                                                               

Total_Summary_Doughnuts_Cost                                     Total_Summary_Doughnuts_Cost

thats it get values out of  Total_Summary field table A plug them into table B we would expect those values to show up when viewed in

a Layout for Table A and Table B and we want those values to show up when records are deleted from TableA

as for Portals I have been experimenting with them, it doesn't seem to matter.

I do think tho PhilModJunk we are making a little progress, let me ask you this since you have so much experience with Filemaker which is a help.

perhaps you could explain the Nomenclature used in the Filemaker Pro 12 manual

and the thin I need explained is what does Filemaker mean by the function     =Sum( field {;feild...})       ?

I have tried every combimation I can think of using 5.1_Bonsai.fmp12   database

although very few of the tables shown in the reference graph are actually shown in the Tables list  in manage-database

now I have tried  making a calculation Field in the Products Table                          Total_summary_Products =Sum(SellPrice)

it returns a value but not of much use, it is some value for the same record.

and I have tried    Total_summary_Products=Sum(Products::SellPrice)      it  does return a value but once again not of much use same record

and I have tried Total_summary_Products=Sun(1; 2; 3; )        this returns the value of 6 which is very useful but not in my application

what I would like is Total_summary_Products=Sum(?)        that actually returns a useful sum of all the SellPrice values, which of itself is not very useful for this table Product but is very useful for my application. your help will be appreciated.

and I have tried using Total_summary_Products=Summary=Total of SellPrices  this does return a correct value but it will not transfer over to say the  Customer Table   kind of our like our TableA to TableB problem.

sincerely Hugh

• 12. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                                davidanders

"although very few of the tables shown in the reference graph are actually shown in the Tables list  in manage-database"

Tables can have multiple occurances called "Table Occurances".  These Table Occurances can be named anything. These allow accessing data in a Table through multiple relationships from multiple other Tables.

You can have a Table that does NOT appear on the Relationships Tab in Manage --> Database

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?
                                Title:  Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?
                                     Post:  What are table occurrences and how can I use them?

• 13. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                                  philmodjunk

Note: I realize this is a trial set up to learn how filemaker works, but if you have a one to one relationship between two tables, often it is a better design to simply use one table instead of two.

What kind of total do you want to see in table B? When your refer to a total value in Table A, this assumes that you want to match to multiple records, but you say that this is a one to one relationship which means that your "total" will be a total based on a single related record in Table A. That doesn't' make any sense.

The {} notation such as you saw in: Sum( field {;Field...}), shows optional syntax. The details enclosed in {} can be omitted and no error will occur when the function is evaluated. Sum computes a total with three different options:

Sum ( Field1; Field2 ; Field3 ) would compute the total of three fields in the current record. It's equivalent to Field1 + Field2 + Field3

Sum ( RelatedTable::NumberField ) would compute the total of NumberField for the set of records in RelatedTable that are related to the current record.

Sum ( RepeatingField ) would sum all the values in "repetitions" of the repeating field. This is a legacy feature harking back to when FileMaker was not a Relational Database System where the Repeating Field functions much like an Array, but is still used on rare occasions.

• 14. Re: Dear Filemaker Pro 12 Manufacturer, an MacIntosh Apple Lion some type of cat or other user
                                    HughVon987654321

Dear PhilModJunk December 07, 2012

Thanks again for your timely response, and alot has been cleared up, although as to why a Training Database would not show

all Tables or Table Occurances is still puzzleing to me. 

and your explanation of the Sum Function is very helpful. rwo have peeked my interest.

Sum ( Field1; Field2 ; Field3 )  is useful but not in my application

Sum ( RelatedTable::NumberField )  I have tried this method, but did not get the results that I expected, it indeed returned a correct value

but only for a single record, that didnot return the value of all records in one tidy sum as I had anticipated. but  perhaps I simply donot understand the use of the function, I do think I have alot to learn about Filemaker, and I have even tried to give this a global context, but it didn't  appear to work correctly.

Sum ( RepeatingField ) would sum all the values in "repetitions" of the repeating field. This is a legacy feature harking back to when FileMaker was not a Relational Database System where the Repeating Field functions much like an Array, but is still used on rare occasions.

This needs more explanation for me so are you saying Sum(RepeatingField(field))   ?

in any event I looked into the Training module 4,  Table 04.Bonsai.fmp12   and it appears to have a useable solution for me,

it was listed under the Order Table, now within the Oder Form  it appears to have a portal, with fields from a related Table Occurance.

and the Calculation Field of Total,  in the Order Table , appears to be able to draw data from the portal fields to give the correct result.

it however has the definition of Total=Round(field; field+field+field; 2 precision)  that returns a correct sum, but my question is this

Did the Portal need to be present, with the related fields, for Total to access the data?

one other question is the  Field set to Summary set to Total for a particular field similar to the (Microsoft Access Summation Button Greek Epsilon?)

thanks again

Hugh

1 2 Previous Next