6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2014 12:40 AM by NaturSalus

Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS

NaturSalus

Title

Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS

Hello,

As it is stated in FMP Help file: The characters displayed for the decimal separator and thousands separator depend on the system formats set for the database file, and the display format for the field

My PC runs under MS Windows 7 64 bits  using decimal separator "," and  thousands separator "." , Therefore, FMP accepts as valid the following calculation:   73,50 *5,67 but not the following calculation: 73.50 *5.67. 

Is there any way to set up an FMP application under MS Windows 7 64 bits  using decimal separator "," and  thousands separator "."  so that it can be opened by FMP under MS Windows 7 64 bits  using decimal separator "." and  thousands separator ","?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
          philmodjunk

This is not something that I've dealt with myself.

If you define your calculation with computer 1 (1000's=. ; decimal=,) and then open the database with computer 2 (1000's = , ; decimal = . ). Does the calculation field still evaluate correctly? Won't you get an error only if you edit the calculation while it is open in computer 2 and leave in the original delimiters?

(for math calcs, I'd leave out 1000's delimiters completely. Only the decimal separators would be at issue then.)

I can think of a convaluted work around using a text field and the evaluate function where a substitute function could be used to insert the correct decimal separator, but for calculation fields and calculations in scripts steps, I'm not sure that this is actually needed.

• 2. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
            NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Thanks for looking into my question.

If you define your calculation with computer 1 (1000's=. ; decimal=,) and then open the database with computer 2 (1000's = , ; decimal = . ). Does the calculation field still evaluate correctly?

That's something that I don't know for sure. However, if this were the case then no issue.

Won't you get an error only if you edit the calculation while it is open in computer 2 and leave in the original delimiters?

Probably, but no way to check this out.

(for math calcs, I'd leave out 1000's delimiters completely. Only the decimal separators would be at issue then.)

It makes perfect sense.

I can think of a convaluted work around using a text field and the evaluate function where a substitute function could be used to insert the correct decimal separator, but for calculation fields and calculations in scripts steps, I'm not sure that this is actually needed.

My question has been asked before in this forum but wasn't answered. It was a developer from the States selling their products in Spain.

And I am not aware that FMI has addressed this question either.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
              philmodjunk

My gut feeling based on how calculation expression are evaluated is that this is a non-issue. The calculations should still work when you move the file to a different locality. I'd also expect to see a lot of posts in Report an Issue complaining about this if this were not the case.

How the values display via field formatting, on the other hand has been an issue in some cases, judging by some posts here on the subject.

I'll drop a line to TSGal and ask her to take a look at this thread...

• 4. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
                NaturSalus

Great!

Thanks

• 5. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
                  TSGal

Natur Salus:

Thank you for your posts.

FileMaker Pro looks at the system settings for numbers.  When launching a file with FileMaker Pro, it looks at the system settings and compares them to the file settings.  If there is a change, FileMaker Pro will notify you the system settings have changed and if you want to use the current system settings or the file settings.  If you select the system settings, the decimals and thousands separators will change automatically.  If you decide on the file settings, then you continue using the settings created by the previous system.

This also includes date settings.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Decimal and thousands separators in different countries and OS
                    NaturSalus

TSGal,

Thank you for looking into my question and for clearly explaining how FMP handles different number format settings.