5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 7:28 AM by philmodjunk

Define list report page breaks by part name

Stu412

Title

Define list report page breaks by part name

I have a list report which is made up of several parts.  They are custom sorted by a list I've made so as to get them appearing in the right order for the task.  Let's say we have simply Part1, Part2, Part3, Part4, Part5, Part6.

What I'd like to do is always page break so that:

Page 1 - Part1 and Part2

Page 2 - Part3

Page 3 - Part4 and Part5

Unless I have exceptional circumstances, this will cover all eventualities and ensure that only three pages are printed uniformly per print.

How can I tell FM to do this please as it doesn't look entirely entuitive in the part set up dialog?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Define list report page breaks by part name
          philmodjunk

What exactly do you mean by "part"? Are you describing 6 different records?

If so, add a calculation field that returns one value for parts 1 and 2, a second value for Part 3 and a third value for parts 4 and 5. Specify a value such that sorting on this value will put the parts in approximately the correct order. (1 doesn't have to come before 2, but 1 and 2 have to come before 3...)

Then add a small sub summary layout part below the body. It need not be more than one pixel in height. Set it up as "sorted by" this new calculation field and select the "page break after every 1 occurrence" option.

When you sort these records, sort by this new calculation field first, then by the field you are already sorting on to put them into correct order.

• 2. Re: Define list report page breaks by part name
            Stu412

I should have said sub summary parts - the sort is being done specifically so the order is the same each time.  Each sub summary provides a list of values and a sub summary trailing total.

It's the sub summary leading part (which identifies to the user the name of the group) which is custom sorted and which I need placing on a given print page.

• 3. Re: Define list report page breaks by part name
              philmodjunk

The same basic method still applies. You add yet another sub summary layout part and use the sorting strategy that I outlined previously. All that changes is that you are working with a larger number of records.

This assumes that you will always have the same pattern of page breaks each time you produce this report.

• 4. Re: Define list report page breaks by part name
                Stu412

Thanks for that Phil - as you say, yet another sub summary part!  

This all works fine - I needed to change the page break setting on the new part to 'page break before every occurrence' - for whatever reason I was getting a blank page at the start with just a the header details, but this is all fixed now.

My report is a thing of beauty!

• 5. Re: Define list report page breaks by part name
                  philmodjunk

You probably have the new sub summary part above the original instead of below it.