6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 1:04 PM by philmodjunk

delete tables?

FrankBell

Title

delete tables?

I created a table in an application, then decided to delete the table and rework it. I deleted the table in Manage Databese, and created another with the same name. But now it still shows up in the dropdown list of tables when I'm in browse mode. It shows two tables with the same name. How do I delete the table permanently, so that it doesn't pop up again and confuse things?? (Perhaps I should have checked the "also remove occurances..." box when I deleted the file... but I didn't, so now what?)

• 1. Re: delete tables?
          philmodjunk

Your drop down list does not list tables contrary to what its label implies. It lists table occurrences. Table occurrences are the "boxes" found in Manage | Database | Relationships. If you open up that tab and look, you should find the extra table occurrence and then you can delete it from there. Any time you create a new table on the tables tab, FileMaker creates a new occurrence and a new layout of the same name, with the new layout linked to the new occurrence. Deleting this table, as you have found does not necessarily delete the table occurrences nor the layout that were also created and these will then be left as "orphans" in your system until you find and delete them or update them to refer to your new table.

• 2. Re: delete tables?
            FrankBell

Thanks. But the extra table occurance was not present in the Relationships section... just the expected tables. But I tried going to Manage Layouts, found the extra layouts there, and was able to delete them. So the "Tables" dropdown apparently really lists layouts. Understanding that it wasn't necessarily tables that were listed was a key to understanding.

• 3. Re: delete tables?
              philmodjunk

Where did you see this drop down? Any such dropdown except the one on the fields tab of manage | database lists occurrences--not layouts.

• 4. Re: delete tables?
                FrankBell

I'm speaking of the drop down which you see in either browse or edit layout mode... it's actually labeled "layout:".  Deleting the unwanted layout under Manage Layouts took care of the problem.

• 5. Re: delete tables?
                  JohnSheehan

I had exactly the same problem. Thanks for helping me figure it out. The layout drop down menu in the browse view clearly keeps all layouts unitl you go in and manage the layouts to remove them, even if you have removed tables from the database and the relations.

• 6. Re: delete tables?
                    philmodjunk

Yes, that drop down is the list of all existing layouts and deleting tables or table occurrences will not change the items listed in this drop down. Layouts, tables and table occurrences often have identical names due to the default behavior of FileMaker that kicks in when you define a new table, but they are three different objects with three different roles in the function of a FileMaker database.