12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 2:43 PM by leecy

Deleted Records Still Listed

leecy

Title

Deleted Records Still Listed

I am pretty new to Filemaker. I have a long list of student records entered. When I delete a record, it no longer appears in the Table View of the Layout. However, it sill shows in the Toolbar box that lists student IDs so that the toolbar ID number does not match the next record. Very confusing.

Example: I have a student record of Mary Jones. Her ID is 9. I have another student named Randy Casey. His ID is 10. When I delete Mary Jones from my records, she is no longer listed in the table view of the layout. However, when I scroll through records in the toolbar box, Randy Smith now comes up as #9 although he continues to be listed correctly among my records as # 10, his real ID.

Any suggestions as to how to match the layout # and the toolbar #  after I delete a record? The toolbar box doesn't delete the record, apparently.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Leecy

RecordDeleted.png

• 1. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
          philmodjunk

You misunderstand the purpose of the number above the record slider. This is the record number not the record ID and does not show data from any field in your table. If you have a found set of 20 records and you see a 5 in that box, that means that your current record is the 5th record in your current found set.

So in the screen shot shown, you have a found set of 65 records and the current record is the 9th record in that found set. Please note that which record is the 9th record can be changed just by sorting the records into a different order.

• 2. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
            leecy

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I understand. I thought the "found set" listed all records in the table in order to allow easy access to student records. I'm not sure I see the use of using the tool if that's not what it does. Anyway, I appreciate for the prompt reply. I guess I'll go play with ordering records differently? I'll give it a try. Thanks much.

• 3. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
              leecy

I changed the sort order to be sorted by Student ID. Nothing changed. Now I'm befuddled.

• 4. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                leecy

OK. Now that I see the records in table view and sort by ID, I notice that the deleted ID is listed at the bottom, and others appear to be in order. Lots to learn here. Thanks again. Leecy

• 5. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                  philmodjunk

A found set is not all of the records in the table. It's a subset of all the records in your table.

Say you enter find mode and specify a single letter "C" in a last name field and perform a find. The found set thus produced will be all records where the last name starts with the letter C.

You can further manipulate which records are in the found set by using omit records to omit records currently in the found set or you can select Show All Records to bring all the records in your table into the found set, just to name a few methods. Think of your records as a set of 3x5 cards in a table. If you then search through your stack of cards and pull 20 of them out to work with, you have a found set of 20 cards. The number shown near the book control would be the position of the current card in that stack of 20, and you won't see any numbers but 1..20 showing even though you may have a stack of 2.5 million such cards in your total table.

I changed the sort order to be sorted by Student ID. Nothing changed

Look at what I said again: Please note that which record is the 9th record can be changed just by sorting the records into a different order.

I didn't say that it would change, but that it could change by changing the sort order. Whether you see any change or not will depend on the data in your table and the specific options that you select in Sort Records.

• 6. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                    symbister

Hi Leecy

The number in the window in the toolbar display merely tells you which record is displayed out of your current set.

say you have eight records, with two fields, name and ID:

Bloggs 12345
                         Smith 12500
                         Jones 15487
                         Walker 16500
                         Abbott 17532
                         Bishop 18524
                         Shorten 19563
                         Palmer 20132

they are currently sorted in ID order, so Jones's record will display as '3' in the toolbar window, but if you sort by name:

Abbott
                         Bishop
                         Bloggs
                         Jones
                         Palmer
                         Shorten
                         Smith
                         Walker

the third record will now be Bloggs.

If you then delete Bloggs and sort again on name, the third record will be Jones

the toolbar record number display bears no relation to any field in your table

• 7. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                      leecy

I'm beginning to get it. The slider bar is used mainly for searches. As far as inputting new info, such as a new student record and all information that relates to him into the main database, the slider isn't really useful. I certainly was confused. I'll play with it some more to have it sink in. I'm really grateful for the examples and for your persistence in helping me understand. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                        SteveMartino

Quick question regarding the OP screenshot.  How do you get the control to show "67/65"?   Isnt the first number always less then the second number?

• 9. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                          philmodjunk

Good catch Steve. That might be a sign of a damaged file or one that at least needs to have indexes rebuilt.

• 10. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                            leecy

Whoa, Boy. Here I go. I'll check on that, too. Thanks, all. Indexes rebuilt?

• 11. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                              philmodjunk

When you recover a file, all indexes are rebuilt as a part of the recover process. You can select advanced recover options to "copy file blocks as is" and Rebuild indexes [now] to produce a new copy of the file that is identical to the original except that all field indexes in the file have been rebuilt. That may be what you need to do to correct this issue.

This may explain why you deleted some records and then were still able to see them after deleting them--something I had originally figured was due to misunderstanding what you were seeing happen in your database than a possible issue with the file.

• 12. Re: Deleted Records Still Listed
                                leecy

Whew. The solution seems doable. I'll follow the steps and wait for great results. Many thanks. Leecy