3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 4:20 PM by philmodjunk

Deleted tables showing in "show records from" when editing layouts + Default Font color issue

unitedbiologicsmattg

Title

Deleted tables showing in "show records from" when editing layouts + Default Font color issue

Hello,

I am using FMP11 on OSX 10.6.8; I am very new to FMP (have been using it for about a week with no training or experience), and have been doing a lot of trial and error to figure stuff out. Today I finally figured out how to make and use new tables and configure layouts to them. Although I've had 3 or 4 "test" tables that I have since deleted due to my first issue:

1. Whenever I try to make a new layout to display my table and then go into "table view" (the one that looks like an excel spreadsheet) the font color in each field is white, and I can't seem to find how to change it universally; it seems to only let me change it by clicking each field individually, but when I make a new column or row, they all have font color white (on a white background). 

So, because of this I have been deleting tables and recreating them along with deleting layouts and trying new ones with a different "layout type" to try and figure out what it is that is causing this white on white problems. Which leads me into my second problem:

2. I will make a "test" table, and then delete it when it doesn't work,(which I have done multiple times)so that it is no longer showing in manage database>tables, but when I go to "manage layouts" and try to edit a layout or make a new layout, when I click "show records from", it displays the option to show records from any table I've created, regardles of if it still exists or not. 

Here you can see that the file has 2 tables: Inventory and Category Table

Yet Here you can see that all the deleted tables "Category List", "Inventory 2" and "Category Table Copy" are listed.

Any ideas? 

thanks in advance,

Matt

• 1. Re: Deleted tables showing in "show records from" when editing layouts + Default Font color issue
          philmodjunk

Believe it or not, Show Records From does not list table names and that's why deleting a table does not delete a name from this drop down. It lists the names of the table occurrence "boxes" found in Manage | Database | Relationships. When you create a new table, fileMaker automatically creates a new table occurrence box and also a layout with exactly the same name. The new layout refers to the new table occurrence in layout setup | Show Records From.

When you delete a table, the table occurrence and layout that were originally created are not deleted and thus the table occurrence remains and its name is still listed in Show Records From. You will need to find these table occurrences and delete them to clean up your databse file.

To deal with the white text, Go to your layout and switch to layout mode. With nothing selected, specify the desired text color in the formatting bar or in the appearance section of the Inspector. Then return to browse mode. If you are not asked to save the changes, return to layout, move a field slightly to force fileMaekr to see the layout as changed and then repeat the process of specifying the text color while no object is selected to reset the default settings for this layout. Then save your layout changes.

• 2. Re: Deleted tables showing in "show records from" when editing layouts + Default Font color issue
            unitedbiologicsmattg

Thank you PhilModJunk!

Your answer solved my issue with the "table occurences".

In regards to the second problem: I just made a new layout, with the exact same settings as I did for the past 4, yet when I go to table view I am no longer getting the white text issue. I tried what you suggested prior to this , although I have the settings set to "save automatically" so I am not sure if it may have not worked due to me not moving an object. Regardless, it seems fixed and if it happens again your answer will most likely solve it.

Thanks again for your help!

Oh also, if I have other questions would it be best to make a new thread (if it doesn't pertain to this thread at all) or would it be better to keep this thread alive to avoid clutter on the forum?

• 3. Re: Deleted tables showing in "show records from" when editing layouts + Default Font color issue
              philmodjunk

Long threads tend to filter down to just one person reading and responding to your questions. New threads invite more comment from others. On the other hand, if your new question needs a lengthy explanation that is already posted in your current thread before others can understand enough to help you, it's then better to stick with the current thread.