5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 3:18 PM by philmodjunk

Deleting a portal record issue

MorkAfur

Title

Deleting a portal record issue

I have an issue where after deleting a portal row and then trying to enter a new portal record, the data values go BLANK after tabbing out of each portal field. If I exit to layout mode and go back into browse mode, the data I entered stays visible.

Is this a bug with my script or FMP?

I tried to add a refresh window step to the DELETE script, but that doesn't help.

This issue where the data becomes invisible when I TAB off the portal field also happens if I just use the standard FMP DELETE Record.

Thanks in advance for suggestions,

-m

• 1. Re: Deleting a portal record issue
          philmodjunk

Are there any other table occurrences that refer to your portal's data source table? All it takes is one with the delete set and you might get automatic deletion of the parent record--this can even be a chain of deletes deleting records from several different tables.

but why not put a button in the portal row set to do the delete portal row button option? This would seem a much simpler option for deleting a record from the portal and the mouse click on the button in the portal row will insure that the correct portal record as the focus at the time the record gets deleted.

• 2. Re: Deleting a portal record issue
            MorkAfur

Hey Phil,

No, It's just CUSTOMER:JOB (1:M). Portal is for the Job table.

I am using a button and a script to do this delete. The issue appears to be when I delete the last portal row and then try to enter data. FMP seems to get confused and blanks out the fields when I tab off of them (but it keeps the data).

I tried to put the DELETE in the portal row itself, but again, if I delete the last portal row with data in it, then FMP starts blanking out data values when I try to reenter data into the now-blank portal row. Yet, if I exit and go back in, FMP shows the data that it was blanking a moment before.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-m

• 3. Re: Deleting a portal record issue
              philmodjunk

That description makes no sense. You describe deleting the last portal row and then complain that the portal row fields are blank....

• 4. Re: Deleting a portal record issue
                MorkAfur

Right, I realize it sounds confusing.

What was happening was that after I removed the last portal row and then came back to the portal (FMP re-creates the first portal record is my understanding), then after entering data into the portal's "first" record, the values vanish when I tabbed out of any of the fields.

Perhaps I'm missing something assuming FMP recreates the first portal record, but I couldn't reproduce the problem on another standalone example.

I added the GTTR script step in my script and that seemed to fix it. Not sure why.

Thanks,

- m

• 5. Re: Deleting a portal record issue
                  philmodjunk

(FMP re-creates the first portal record is my understanding)

Not really. This "blank row" is no record at all. It's the "add row" where entering data will automatically creates a new related record.

Don't see what a script has to do with this at all. If the values are vanishing, something--a trigger performed script or a portal filter perhaps is interfering as this is not typical behavior for a portal.