5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 12:40 PM by CourtneyTran

Deleting Duplicate Records

CourtneyTran

Title

Deleting Duplicate Records

Hello, I have several records in Filemaker that are duplicates (ie: Mr. Joe shows up twice). I am able to perform the find function and pull up all duplicate records but when I try to click on a duplicate and delete the record, an error message pops up. I do not understand what this error message means? How do I go about getting rid of the duplicates so that I only have one record per person?

FilemakerImage.png

• 1. Re: Deleting Duplicate Records
          philmodjunk

I'd guess that perhaps there's a "delete" option specified for a related table in a relationship that links the layout's Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? to some other table occurrence in a relationship that is no longer valid--perhaps due to a match field being deleted.

When you attempt to delete the record, this "delete" option for deleting related records kicks in and fails due to the invalid relationship.

• 2. Re: Deleting Duplicate Records
            CourtneyTran

I looked at the tables relationships again more carefully and was able to remove the invalid relationship (I didn't realize I left it there!) and now I am able to delete duplicates! Is there a way I can delete all of the duplicates at once without going through them one by one? I am looking under scripts...?

• 3. Re: Deleting Duplicate Records
              CourtneyTran

Is there a way I can delete all of the duplicates at once without going through them one by one? I am looking under scripts...?

• 4. Re: Deleting Duplicate Records
                philmodjunk

My favorite method for removing duplicates does not require a script.

Use either import records with the New table option or if using FileMaker Advanced, use Copy to duplicate the table. In the new table, specify "unique values, validate always" for the field where you are entering the ! to find duplicates in your current method.

Then use Import records to import all your records into this new table. The duplicates will be automatically removed during the import. You can then delete all records from the original table (beware of that "delete" option, however) and import the records from the new table back into the original.

If you prefer to use a script, there's a script for marking duplicates in the Knowledge Base (see link at top of screen). Once a script has marked the duplicates, you can perform a find for the marked records and delete them.

• 5. Re: Deleting Duplicate Records
                  CourtneyTran

Thank you very much! The problem is solved and I am VERY happy about it! smiley