4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 9:02 AM by philmodjunk

Deleting Duplicates

DavidFelsenthal

Title

Deleting Duplicates

I tried the recommended script

I'm using Filemaker Pro 12 and when I create the script it does not look the same (see attached)

I get the error message:

“Replace Field Contents”, could not be completed because of an error.  Do you wish to continue with this script?

help please?

Screen_Shot_2013-09-10_at_8.08.06_PM.png

• 1. Re: Deleting Duplicates
          davidanders
               Examples 
          Sort Records [Restore]
               Go to Record/Request/Page [First]
               Replace Field Contents [No dialog; script examples::Serial Number; Serial numbers]

Missing a semi colon?
          • 2. Re: Deleting Duplicates
            philmodjunk

You have put " " in the specify repetition box instead of as the second parameter of Replace Field Contents and also in your set field step.

When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Do not click the specify button next to the repetition box. Click OK to close this dialog box. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.

• 3. Re: Deleting Duplicates
              DavidFelsenthal

Thank you Phil, it appears to have worked!

I now want to import new data and if the unique id field i created using calculation match update the rest of that record with any new information

Any suggestions?

• 4. Re: Deleting Duplicates
                philmodjunk

Please describe that in more detail.

(BTW, there is also a way to use Import Records and field validation to filter out duplicates.)