6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2009 12:01 PM by TSGal

Deleting Empty Layouts

DThomas

Title

Deleting Empty Layouts

I have empty layouts in a database. They are old layouts that were generated when I used the report generator in FMP. I can't add parts or fields to them. Using the "delete layout" option under the Layout menu does nothing. Ideas?

• 1. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
          TSGal

DThomas:

Thank you for your post.

This is very strange behavior.  You should be able to delete all but one layout from your database (you have to have at least one layout).

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  On the left side, FileMaker should let you know how many layouts you currently have.  If there are more than one listed, then go to the layout in question, pull down the Layouts menu and select "Delete Layout..."   A dialog box should then appear asking to confirm "Permanently delete this layout?".  If this isn't occurring, then make sure your access privileges give you the ability to delete a layout.

I can't think of any other reason why this would occur.

Please keep me posted!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
            DThomas
               I know, right?! Nope, it lists all of the layouts, even the empty ones, and I can definitely delete a full layout (tried, just in case I didn't have that privilege). They are only aggravating in that they are still listed in the drop-down list. And I can't add a part to them to try to make them active or to have something to delete.
            • 3. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
              TSGal

DThomas:

It sounds like you have a corrupt file.  If possible, I'd like to take a look at the file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
                stavernia

I am having the same problem.  Was this problem ever solved?

Thanks,

Steve 

• 5. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
                  stavernia

This seems to solve the problem:  Run recovery on the file (File/Recover...) with

"Scan blocks and rebuild file (drop invalid blocks)" checked and

"Scan and rebuild scripts, layouts, etc. (structure)" checked.

These options are in FM10. M8.5 does not have these options, but recovery still works.  This empty layout problem only occured in FM10, so I'm not sure it would even be an issue in FM8.5.

For me, when done recovery in FM10, it says "the file should NOT be used going forward", but I see no problems with the recovered files, and my empty layouts are gone.

Steve 

• 6. Re: Deleting Empty Layouts
                    TSGal

stavernia:

No, the file was never sent in.

If you are having the same problem, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.