4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 3:32 PM by vmtc

deleting imported table occurrence in merged file

vmtc

Title

deleting imported table occurrence in merged file

Hi

I want to merge a table from one file into a second file. I have seen various posts on how to do this, and will gratefully follow them. However, there is one thing I'd like to check. 

One of the table occurrences in the second file already has exactly the relationship I need (and for that matter the same name). When I import the table though I get a new TO of course (re-named unless I change one of them first). If I delete this new TO, and redefine the existing one to point to the newly imported table, am I going to run into any problems?

Since this is the first step, I won't have imported scripts etc. And since the TO is just a relatinoship, I can't see a prob, except that in a dry run I noticed that it came up as an unrelated table when I went to reinstate a missing field definition. Since there's only one such field, it's an easy fix, but I wondered if there were other things I hadn't thought about. The TO in the second file is already used in scripts, layouts etc, so I certainly don't want to change that. 

Any advice greatly appreciated....

• 1. Re: deleting imported table occurrence in merged file
          philmodjunk

If you left your relationships untouched and repointed your TO to the local copy of the data source table, I don't see why it came up as "unrelated". Keep in mind that all "table" drop downs except the one in Manage | Database | Fields are really "table occurrence" drop downs and list the names from your relationships tab.

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and then do a text search of the report for the words "missing" and "unknown". This can be very helpful in tracking down any references to tables, fields, scripts etc that "break" during the merge process.

• 2. Re: deleting imported table occurrence in merged file
            vmtc

Thanks Phil. Sorry, my post was a bit confused though I realise now I'm trying to understand about the table set in the Manage | Database | Fields.

What I have is Source file: Contracts

Targe file (pre-import): Contracts, Contracts2, Contracts by similar name.

When I import, the new TO is called Contracts 2.

I delete Contracts 2. I notice that in Manage | Database | Fields, the reference is now to Contracts2. I'm not sure if this is significant, but when I import scripts, layouts etc from original file, I want to make sure the relationships match up.

So, I'm wondering about the ramifications of which TO the Manage | Database | Fields referred to. Can you set this? Does it matter? If the table is just the data and the occurrence is the relationship, it should all be fine, shouldn't it, irrespective of the table name? And when imported scipts and layouts use 'contracts' that will match up to the relationship defined by 'contracts' in the target file. 

I've done a DDR and discovered a few oddities, but before I delve into these I thought I'd check the basic set up.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: deleting imported table occurrence in merged file
              philmodjunk

The only case where it can make a difference is in calculations that refer to fields in a related table. Then the "context" table occurrence you select in the drop down in the top of specify calculation is critical. Otherwise, it does not matter.

The DDR is not perfect. There are a few "oddities" that are due to bugs in Filemaker advanced 11.

FM10Adv HTML DDR missing info

FM Pro 11: Database Design Report erroneously reporting "Missing Table Occurrence"

"" auto-enter lookup relationships are not reported in DDR

These are a few of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    http://www.4shared.com/file/8orL8apk/FMP_Bugs.html

• 4. Re: deleting imported table occurrence in merged file
                vmtc

Thanks Phil, this is really helpful.