3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 1:25 PM by philmodjunk

Deploying to small number of users

Etienned´Ursel

Title

Deploying to small number of users

Hello,

I am deploying to two users, so my data and logic are in the same file.  Is there a way so save user data in one go, so the user can re-import is when I give him a new "release" of my file. ( i.e. a clone copy without records ) ?

Regards

Etienne

• 1. Re: Deploying to small number of users
          philmodjunk

You can equip the clone copy with a script that opens the original and imports all records from all tables and that also updates next serial values on any fields with an auto-entered serial number setting. (Or you can avoid the need for a serial number update if you use auto-entered Get ( UUID ) generated values for your primary keys.)

• 2. Re: Deploying to small number of users
            Etienned´Ursel

Thanks Phil, it seems to work.  

To be certain I understand:

In the import records script step dialog,  I need to leave the "perform auto enter options" unchecked, so that the source records keep their source Primary Keys.

The Set-Next-Serial-Value script step  is performed after the table import ( with a value set to  something like "last record's primary key +1 ) so that I will not have two identical Primary keys.

Regards

Etienne

• 3. Re: Deploying to small number of users
              philmodjunk

You have the idea, but I seem to remember testing the import of records into a table with an auto-enter serial number field and with auto-enter options enabled and didn't get new serial numbers as long as there was already a value in the field. But my memory isn't perfect, so don't take that as a given--run a test of your own on a test copy and see what you get. But generally speaking, you don't want that option enabled for an import records used for this purpose anyway.