1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 12:05 PM by davidanders

Deployment: Opener File and Icons

EP

Title

Deployment: Opener File and Icons

Trying to decide on the best way to deploy a file on FMS12 regarding setting up each client.  I tried setting up a shortcut in windows that points to the file on the server.  I also tried creating an empty FMP12 file with an Open File command.  I think the opener file is the best way to go.  Is there any way to permanently apply a company logo as the opener file's icon instead of the FMP icon?  Are there any other ways to set up clients that I should be exploring?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Deployment: Opener File and Icons
          davidanders

FROM   http://www.mindfiresolutions.com/Shortcut-for-opening-FileMaker-Server-files-without-opening-FileMaker-765.php

Create shortcut in Windows to access/open FileMaker Server files.

1.                Right click on your desktop and select New > Shortcut
          3.                In the location of the item, type "fmp7://<Server Address>/<File Name>" and click Next
          5.                Type in a name for the shortcut and click "Finish".
          A shortcut will be created on the desktop, try opening the remote server database by double clicking on the shortcut.

Alternate way to create shortcut to open remote FileMaker Server files.  

1.                Create an empty database with a startup script.
          3.                In the startup script write the script step to open the actual remote database from the FileMaker Server.
          Double click the new empty database to directly open the remote database hosted at a FileMaker Server.

FROM     http://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=11959

FileMaker - Create a shortcut to a database on the FileMaker server

Simplify accessing remote databases by creating a shortcut.

You must find the name of the database you will be creating the shortcut for. The name will show up when you perform an "open remote..." from FileMaker Pro. Make note of the name listed on the right, you will need to enter it in the following steps.

Windows

1.           Right click on your desktop and select New -> Shortcut
          3.           For the location type in "fmp7://filemaker.hslc.wisc.edu/" and click next
          5.           Type in a name for the shortcut. This is what will appear on your desktop.
          7.           Right click on the newly created shortcut and select "Properties"
          9.           Edit the text in the URL field. fmp7://filemaker.hslc.wisc.edu/ should already exist. Append on to the end the name of your database. Case matters as do spaces. For example, the whole url field might look something like this: fmp7://filemaker.hslc.wisc.edu/My Database
          11.           Click ok and try opening the shortcut by double clicking on it.

OS X

1.           Open up your web browser and type into the location bar: "fmp7://filemaker.hslc.wisc.edu/My Database Name" without the quotes. Replace "My Database Name" with the name of your database. The filename is case sensitive.
          3.           Drag the icon from the location bar to your deskop. This will create a shortcut on the desktop.
          5.           click once on the text of your new shortcut to rename it. Name the shortcut how you would like
          7.           double click on the shortcut to open the database