4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 3:28 PM by kentanderson

descending order Value list

kentanderson

Title

descending order Value list

Is it possible to have a drop down box view in descending order?  If not maybe a selection portal would be a better fit for what i am trying to do but i have no idea how to do that.

I have a bunch of records from the last 10 years, and I am setting up a from so the user can edit/add data to records.  I wanted to have a drop down box that when selected would navigate to the selected record, the problem is the list is in ascending order.  I would have to scroll down through thousand of records to get to recent ones. (Usually we edit recent records not records from 2000)  

Maybe there is another way to do this i saw this video and thought it would be perfect, but i have no idea how this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEYz4OVCmSE

• 1. Re: descending order Value list
          philmodjunk

A value list of "Thousands of Records" isn't really practical to work with in any order. You may want to make it a conditional value list to reduce the length of the value list to a more reasonable length.

Value lists that specify the "use values from a field" option automatically sort in ascending order so there is  easy way around that. I've been able to force small numbers of values into a different arbitrary order by using the second field as an invisible "sort" field, but this requires that the second field not be used for other purposes and isn't something that you can use with Thousands of values.

A selection portal may be your best bet. If you don't have space for one on your layout, you can pop one up in a small floating window or (if using FileMaker 13), a Popover.

• 2. Re: descending order Value list
            kentanderson

"A selection portal may be your best bet. If you don't have space for one on your layout, you can pop one up in a small floating window or (if using FileMaker 13), a Popover."

I think this is the route i would like to go.  Could you perhaps walk me through this process?  A separate window with a selection portal would be great, but I'm not sure how to create a selection portal or a pop up window.  Thank you as always

• 3. Re: descending order Value list
              philmodjunk

Start with getting a portal. Can you set up a portal that lists the values you would otherwise put in your value list? What data do you need to actually enter into your field? And ID number? A Year? or ??? Or do you just want to find that record?

Here's a demo file with three search portals shown across the bottom of the layout:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm1gdqcfi2ndpv/EnhancedValueSelection.fp7

If you are using FileMaker 12 or newer, you can use Open from FileMaker's File menu to open this file and produce a copy converted to the newer .fmp12 file format.

• 4. Re: descending order Value list
                kentanderson

I just want to navigate quickly to a record for editing