4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2011 2:21 PM by Terri

Design Function to List Fields

Terri

Title

Design Function to List Fields

Working with FMPro Advanced 11 on a Mac.

I adopted a database from a previous owner who didn't understand the concept of relationships. I can definitely tell this person went on a field and layout rampage as she was learning FileMaker as there are over 100 layouts (all doing basically the same thing) and over 400 fields on one table (as i said, no concept of relationships). I don't blame her, I'm learning too, but now it is time to do a clean up.

After using the database for a few months I've determined the 20ish layouts that we need and I have an idea to restructure the one huge table into smaller tables and relationships to make things easier to understand. But weeding through the 400 fields to identify the ones that I actually need is my goal. Can the Design Function help me? I want a list of fields on these specific layouts so I can go through the table and delete any unnecessary ones. Is that possible?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Design Function to List Fields
          mgores

Yes the Database design report will generate an HTML file that you can open in a browser and perform finds for the fields in question to see where they show up.

• 2. Re: Design Function to List Fields
            Terri

Thanks Mark, I just found this (wasn't quite to that chapter in my "Missing Manual."

Ouch, I was wrong, there are 600 fields. Looks like I have some work to do.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Design Function to List Fields
              philmodjunk

What I've done is rename a field if it's really generic such as renaming "Date" to be XXXXDate in Manage | Database | Fields, then run the database design report that comes with FileMaker Advanced. (If you don't have Advanced, get it, you'll need it.)

Then I can do a text search for XXXXDate and jump from reference to reference in the report. If the only places it is used are in areas that will be discontinued, it's safe to remove.

There are also third party tools available that you can web search for and investigate that may help you with this process.

And make lots and lots of back ups so you can revert back if you delete something and then change your mind...

• 4. Re: Design Function to List Fields
                Terri

Excellent tip, thanks Phil. And luckily I do have Advanced - whew!