AnsweredAssumed Answered

Design Problem? Re-posted

Question asked by Lust4Kicks_1 on Dec 12, 2009
Latest reply on Dec 14, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

Design Problem? Re-posted

Phil, Thanks for your latest response... Still having issues with part of my design, but it might be how the data is being pulled into the work order. For what it's worth, the r-ship you illustrated is actually the same as mine, but I may have made it worse. I'll explain: Not sure why or if I really needed to design it this way, but when it was drawn out on paper, it seemed logical. The solution only has one purpose, and that is to generate a basic work order for a septic tank pumping service company. The work order simply records the property information where the tank is located, the person who requested the service, usually a real estate agent. 75% of all work orders will be billed through an escrow account. The program did work most of the time, but written long ago back in the FMP 4.1 era... To create a Work Order, you first started in the Contacts file, on that persons record (if existing, otherwise a new contact record was required before you could begin) Once on that contacts record, simply click on Create Work Order and it copied the contacts info into the Work Order file and off you went. A problem occured at times when a new Contact record was created, it would not copy the info into Work Orders, only the Record ID. A second issue that needed addressed was having to retype the Escrow info into the Work Order, even if they were a known company. So I decided to rewrite it the solution properly, and on paper I came up with 5 basic tables, Accounts (for company info), Contacts, Work Orders, and Services (the 5th table was just a menu/utility table). My reason for wanting to rewrite the solution was to simplify data input obviously, but so others could utilize it. Since I was the only one with any type to FM Pro exposure, I could band-aid whatever I needed to just to spit out the WO. Anyway - Since my TO's appear to be setup like your suggestion, what would you suggest would be the proper way to insert Contact (realtors info) and the other Contact (escrow officer's info, etc) into the Work Order record?

Outcomes