1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:26 PM by philmodjunk

Design to simulate a keyword function similar to Adobe Lightroom

mrlnavy

Title

Design to simulate a keyword function similar to Adobe Lightroom

In Adobe Lightroom there is a well developed keyword function that allows for the use of multiple keywords to be assigned by multiple methods to an image. I.e. Florida, alligator,Myaka etc. Typing any or a combination of the terms separated by a comma into a find field finds the specific immage or any others with those keywords assigned. The program also maintains the equivalent of a Filemaker pop-up list to make repeat assigning of the same keywords to repeated images an easy task. I'm designing a filemaker database and I wish to use a list of keywords and repeatedly assign some of them to multiple images in the database. Do I have to have a separate field for each keyword or is there some global method similar to Lightroom which I can use to accomplish the same task? I'm in the design stage, and any bad choices with this problem will reverberate for a long time.

• 1. Re: Design to simulate a keyword function similar to Adobe Lightroom
          philmodjunk

You can store your keywords in a related table where each record stores a separate value or you can store your keywords in the same field separated by carriage returns.

Which method is best for you depends on how you plan to use your key words in your database solution.

In general, the separate table approach gives you the most design flexibility while the second approach is more of a "quick trick" that can be quicker to implement but may cost you some flexibility.