3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 2:56 PM by philmodjunk

Designing a Directory report ?

BobMitchell

Title

Designing a Directory report ?

Hi All,

A newbee to FMP advanced needing some help and direction....

I need to print a membership directory on letter size paper, three cololmns wide to include the usual info of name, adr, company tele, etc. In addition, and the real help needed here, is to print 1 to twenty specialities one after another horizontally and comma seperated. But, each member has a different number of specialities. The database is a simple 'Y' for for each speciality held. I assume I can add another related database with the full name of each speciality to be printed.

So, I'm wanting something like the following for each of the three cololmns:

name
      company
      adr
      city, st, zip
      tele  fax

lawyer, banker, baker, doctor
      dog watcher, driver

name
      company
      adr
      city, st, zip
      tele

lawer, doctor, dog watcher
      driver

name
      etc...

But, I want any one name, company, adr etc to keep from flowing onto the next cololmn.

any and all help greatly appreciated!

Bob

• 1. Re: Designing a Directory report ?
          philmodjunk

You can set a layout to print in multiple columns in Layout Setup... on the printing tab.

To get your comma list of specialties, it would be easiest if you had a related table of specialty names such that a given record would link to only those specialties selected for that user.

Then this calculation will give you your list:

Substitute ( List ( Specialty::Name ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

If you have a single checkbox formatted field of specialties, you could also use a similar expression:

Substitute ( CheckBoxField ; ¶ ; ", " )

• 2. Re: Designing a Directory report ?
            BobMitchell

Thanks!  This is my first project with FMP, and I'm not yet familar with the language. However, how do I keep an instance from spilling over to the next column?

• 3. Re: Designing a Directory report ?
              philmodjunk

That won't happen if you use layout setup... to specify multiple column printing. Your layout will only be one column wide and you can place and size your fields as needed within that space. The multiple columns

You may want to size some fields to be more than one line of text tall and use sliding to slide fields up and resize the enclosing part to make better use of the available spaces. See the Sliding options in the position tab of the inspector. (Sliding is only visible when you preview or print the report.)