AnsweredAssumed Answered

Designing layout question

Question asked by LeoB on Jan 27, 2010
Latest reply on Jan 29, 2010 by LeoB

Title

Designing layout question

Been using FMP10 for a couple months.  Did one fairly simple database and got it working fine.  I'm starting on another one -- more ambitious -- but I'm having a problem on how to do the layouts.

This is a database to record technical inspections.  So far I think it will be just one huge flat-file database as all the information pertains to only one inspection.  Drop-down lists work fine in the preliminary fields.  My problem is how to record and lay out the discrepencies.  Most inspections find two or three problems at most, and the database is to document the problems and then run reports to determine how many are fixed, their status, etc.  But, to be on the safe side I've set up the table to handle up to 10 problems per inspection.

In the data entry layout I've tried using tabs, but the area within the tab doesn't leave enough room to document everything (at least on one layout screen).  And, 10 tabs on the screen looks really bad.  It could work on my 24" desktop monitor, but this will have to run on a laptop.

I've also tried a separate layout for each problem (I call them "issues") linked to the main layout.  That works, but I can't figure out how to update the main layout to show how many issues there were originally and the status of each.

I may be out of my depth here, but was wondering if anybody had any advice on the best way to do this.

Thanks

Outcomes