5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2009 8:26 AM by Jens Teich

desktop document

cooldude

Title

desktop document

I have an invoice that was downloaded off the net from snappyforms. That invoice is the exact same one that I carry in my truck for service work. When I click on this invoice on my desktop I can enter any information I wish. I would like to know if there is a way to place a button next to each customers name and when I hit it, it would open this invoice. After entering the info. I could then hit another button and save. That customer may have more then 1 invoice to there name. Can this be done with filemaker pro 9 or would a program have to be written.

• 1. Re: desktop document
          stevestearns_1

I think you would find FileMaker Pro a useful tool for entering, printing, storing, retrieving, and reporting upon invoice information. You could create a record with each client's information so you don't have to enter the information each time, create another table with products or services and their respective costs, and an invoice table that links the them, which would include dates and quantities (or units of measure).

The form you spoke of from Snappy Forms, could either be scanned and fields placed on top of it, or be recreated entirely in FileMaker and then just printed.

FileMaker Pro 9 has some good templates as examples that you can probably modify for your use or to learn from (i.e., Contact Management, Product Catalog, Purchase Orders, Time Billing, etc.), there are great resources on http://www.filemaker.com/support (such as training videos), and if you have specific questions, you can ask here in this forum. Individuals here are very helpful and willing to share what they know. 

• 2. Re: desktop document
            cooldude
               I don't understand what you are saying. Can a button be used to produce this invoice then saved to a customers name. Or how can I do this. I am a dummy beginner.
            • 3. Re: desktop document
              Jens Teich
                 Yes this is possible.

Steve gave you a very good instruction how to start. What are the things you don't understand?

Jens

• 4. Re: desktop document
                cooldude
                   I would need a step by step instruction.
                • 5. Re: desktop document
                  Jens Teich
                     Ok you need a coach. On the FileMaker website you can search for FileMaker trainers.

Jens