2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 5:56 AM by Scott Van Nostrand

Detect duplicate entry of data in portal

Scott Van Nostrand

Title

Detect duplicate entry of data in portal

I have users entering data in portal via a handheld scanner. All the  entries must be unique and they can easily re-scan the same number by mistake. After each scan I want to review the previous scans in that scanning job and detect if they have previously scanned that number.

My strategy was/is to count the number of records with the previous scan and delete it if > 1 (if I commit the record or if 0 records if not committed).

Should I use and ExecuteSQL script statement to test for this or freeze the screen and do a find, count records...

Other quicker strategies to detect a duplicate field entry in two different portal records?

• 1. Re: Detect duplicate entry of data in portal
          philmodjunk

A unique values validation might catch the doubled scan. If you create a new record and then scan the items into the portal rows, the combination of foreign key value and scanned code would be unique. Define an auto-enter calculation text field that combines the two values and specify a unique values validation option.

or

you can set up a self join relationship in Manage | Database | Relationships that matches on the same values as above and if the count is greater than 1, you have a duplicate.

or

you can use executeSQL in an unstored calculation field to check for duplicates.

• 2. Re: Detect duplicate entry of data in portal
            Scott Van Nostrand

This worked like a charm...detected the error, set the fields to null and put the cursor back in the starting field. Added a beep too, what the heck.  Thanks,

Scott

"A unique values validation might catch the doubled scan. If you create a new record and then scan the items into the portal rows, the combination of foreign key value and scanned code would be unique. Define an auto-enter calculation text field that combines the two values and specify a unique values validation option"