2 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 1:04 PM by billk1radius

Developing a Script using data from an external file

billk1radius

Title

Developing a Script using data from an external file

I have a list of about 1000 bad email addresses that relate to my contact database.  I would like to use the csv file with the bad emails to develop a Script using Extend Found Set such that I don't need to create each step using the Script Management Tool.  I can see what the script needs to look like and can build it easily using VI or another text editor - but have no way to bring the Script into Filemaker.

This would save us a lot of time as we are doing email blasts and will continue to find bad emails until we get our data cleaned up.

Is there a way to build scripts externally and bring them in or another automated way to do this that I am missing?

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Bill

• 1. Re: Developing a Script using data from an external file
          TSGal

billk1radius:

Thank you for your post.

You can import the bad email addresses into another table, and have a relationship linked by email address.  Then, in your main contact database, you can have a portal into the bad email addresses, and perform a count in a calculation field.  That is:

Count ( BadEmails::Email )

That is, assuming the table is named BadEmails, this would count the entries of any emails that are bad.  You could then search for >0 in the calculation field, or just search for 0 in this field for valid addresses.  Does this make sense?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Developing a Script using data from an external file
            billk1radius

Dear TSGal,

Your solution does make sense to me - will let you know the results!  Thanks so much for your response - makes me feel much more confident about using Filemaker as I struggled linking tables properly but finally am getting it.  I may be posting some additional issues as I move forward.

Thanks again!

Bill