6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 7:21 AM by philmodjunk

Development and Working version of Databse

DanielPerry

Title

Development and Working version of Databse

Hi Guys.

Anyone got any suggestions on how a workflow with a development version of a working database should be managed? For example, we have now gone live with version 1.1 of our database, its being used by the admin team. However there are lots of builds, a 1.2 version if you will. I'm presuming it isn't safe to tinker with the version people are using. But the data will need to be kept up to date when 1.2 is ready yo go live. Are there any tried and tested ways of managing this?

Thanks again

Dan

• 1. Re: Development and Working version of Databse
          SteveMartino

Most would recommend to google FileMaker Separation Model, or search this site for separation model.  Then you can make your changes and not affect underlying data (unless of course you actually remove/add fields, calculations, etc.).

You could also make you changes on the development side, and import your data into the new version, checking both versions for data integrity.

Just remember to constantly back up you builds.  The amazing PhilModJunk has a script to automate back ups of a build.  If he doesn't reply with a link, I'll dig it up later today.

• 3. Re: Development and Working version of Databse
            DanielPerry

Perfect, thanks Guys.

I've been working very carefully on new versions of layouts today, making sure not to delete or change any existing fields or tables. Seems to be going OK without causing problems for anyone. 

Definitely going to enable the auto-back-up.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Development and Working version of Databse
              philmodjunk

Editing The Live Database:

Otherwise down and changing the spark plugs on a car while it is being driven down the freeway.... surprise

Do it all the time, but it's risky. Layout, value list and script changes are fairly safe. There is a small chance that a network glitch at just the wrong time could damage your database, bit it's a pretty small chance. The bigger risk is that your design change might catch a user "between chairs" when your changes suddenly appear on their screen in the middle of what they are doing. Incremental changes and bug fixes are usually no problem, but significant changes need to be demonstrated to the users and they need to know what changes are coming their way and when. I think of this as the "human engineering" part of the project. In my new job, I've started creating desktop videos of changes I have made to a developer copy of the database to send to representative users so that they can see what changes are headed their way and can ask questions/make suggestions before the change goes "live" in the production copy of the database.

Other changes are absolutely out of the question for a live database except, perhaps, late at night when no one is supposed to be using the DB, but even then, be careful of scheduled "housekeeping" scripts run from the server that might need to be disabled during the time you make the change:

These are changes you'd make in the Manage | Database | Window. In Server 10--haven't tried it since that version, just opening up the specify calculation dialog for a field's auto-enter calculation Locks the table an all users/scripts can't edit data in the table until you close the dialog. Any changes to the data model, such as adding new fields can lock the table down for several minutes while the changes are applied. If this happens right in the middle of a script that is modifying data in that table...

• 5. Re: Development and Working version of Databse
                DanielPerry

"Otherwise down and changing the spark plugs on a car while it is being driven down the freeway.... surprise"

Love that analogy!..

Thanks again for the advice Phil.

• 6. Re: Development and Working version of Databse
                  philmodjunk

Yes, if I can only type straight!

Otherwise known as changing the spark plugs on a car while it is being driven down the freeway...